1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chris woods of mmw pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, May 6, 2010.

1. anyone know what chris wood uses? i've heard of the ehx bass micro synth, but what else does he use?

i'm loving the mmw and his playing :)

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    MMW?

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Medeski, Martin & Wood

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Worth checking out

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    you have no idea how much i love mmw! i have over 250gb of live shows. those guys put me in my happy place.

this is the best photo i could find.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g_slice/2789636455/sizes/o/in/pool-1037801@N24/

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    His pedals may have changed, but he use to have a sansamp bddi, eh memoryman, eh microsynth, two moogerfoogers (a ring mod & something else), and 2 boss tuners- one for upright and one for electric.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Chris is one of my heroes, by far. They also put me in my happy place. :D

Good luck Mark! You couldnt have asked for a better players rig!

8. There was a bot on this in an issue of BP- if I stumble across it next time I'm in the [DEL]crapper[/DEL] reading room, I'll add it in here. It's at least a couple of years old.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I have all my issues in order since I first subscribed years ago, so when I get home Ill look and save you the trouble. :)

10. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Looks like there is an Avalon U5 on his board

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wow!

DEFINITELY take some time to check them out... they are mostly an organ fronted jazz trio (sometimes a quartet with John Scofield) that boarders the world between the Jazz and Hippy Jam scenes.

Chris is a great groove bassist equally at home on URB as he is Electric.

Here is a track with John on guitar from John's disc "A Go Go"

12. Great- now I'll [DEL]be constipated[/DEL] have some spare time to arrange my thoughts. :D
    In a feeble attempt to remain partially on topic, I'll say that IIRC there was indeed a BMS on the man's board...
    :)

13. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    hard to tell from the photo, but I seemed to remember him rocking the mooger fooger MF-101 & expression pedal
    EHX Memory man
    EHX Bass Micro Synth
    looks like there are two boss tuners there too!

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    2789636455_717a0e9459_o.

I had a pic from the same series as my desktop for a little bit. Although I haven't heard everything out there MMW/MSMW are one of my favorite bands. Out Louder is a sweet disc. I had some live stuff but it has been lost in the shuffle. I really like how they can go from trainwreck to beauty in the blink of an eye. I think Chris Wood is unsung and under appreciated as a bassist and Billy Martin is one of my favorite drummers.

15. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw them a couple months ago in L.A. and he wasn't using much of anything. Could've just been that show, but seemed to me all he had was boost to kick his Ampeg into some serious dirt. Even on a tune like "Reliquary", which is clearly some kind of fuzz on the record, he just used a really crunchy amp tone. Definitely no delays or filters.

Also found it interesting that he's using one of the newer GK MB series heads for his upright. Sounded great, but it's odd seeing such a vintage junky going hi-fi.

16. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    One of my favourite bass players.
    My all time biggest geek moment. At an out door show in Buffalo on a bill w Gov't Mule I met Chris and I actually asked him if he used roundwound or flats on his Hofner

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I listen to "Last Chance To Dance Trance (Perhaps)" almost everyday. Love MMW!
    Have only been able to see them in concert once but it was fantastic, Billy Martin absolutely stole the show.

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Agreed,...most of the studio stuff I have there is maybe a bit of grit like on Little Walter. I'm assuming the other stuff is for improv.

19. bass.bert

bass.bert

Dec 27, 2009
    great band, great bassplayer! i recently found out that they did a session at moog. i don't know if chris uses his regular board here, but the footage is quite nice and worth watching:

whiney-bitches
    improv-for-bob
    broken-mirror

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Yeah - I never think about a pedalboard when I think about Chris Wood. Sansamp BDDI for FOH and amp for stage monitoring.

Some gigs he plays Ampeg, but he gigs his MB2-500 a lot.

I would second that the board is for improv.

light grindy drive. BDDI is his tone for sure.

Very interested in what he uses otherwise to open up his tone.