Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

christ, opeth is HARD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, Jun 9, 2005.

1. i've even temporarily gone back to my fretted to practice some of the weird rhythms they come up with :crying:

the theory behind it is pretty simple, mostly just octaves and fifths, but damn, the rhythm is killing me.

any tips? :help:

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Opeth have an incredible grasp of syncopation, but much of it uses the same patterns. Work on qunint and sept tuplets. Many of their riffs use these and once you crack them you start to see things a lot more clearly.

I was just listenting to Deliverance a bit ago, great stuff.

3. opeth is so great. i can't wait for the new album.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

Produced by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you sure it's not just "plie-drivingly heavy"!!?? ;)

PS wouldn't a Llama's Rage, be a bit like : "being savaged by a sheep" ...? :D

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actually I think the band are producing the new one.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    you're right, Wilson produced them in the past..Anyway;

February news
    and

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thank god they've got a Keyboard player. Thanks to Steve almost all of Damnation has keys (or does all of it?)

9. one of the coolest things to remember about the Opeth rhythmsection is that both the drummer and bassist are from Uruguay and have been playing both metal and tradtional latin music as a team for YEARS!!!

many of the cool grroves they do are latin rhythms that have been put in 7 or 5.

killer group!!!

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Indeed, very underrated rhythmsection imo. I've seen Opeth live, and that gig is defenitely in my top 3 best gigs ever.

11. the martins rule.