Christian Bands and Media

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassplaya#21, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    i feel from what ive seen over the last 3 or 4 years is that Christian bands rarely make it big media wise, people basically shut them out of their musical selections just because they promote Christian values feel free to drop any type of feedback
  2. I'm sure lots of people do. Same with political bands.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    MxPx was kinda on the fence between being a "christian band" an not. They described themselves as "christians in a band." They got pretty big a few years back, with songs on the radio and such. They're on Fat Wreck Chords now.. a pretty good label if you're a punk band.
    other than that though, most christian bands simply suck.
    IME, the musical content of christian bands is far inferior to other kinds of music. Their fans listen to them BECAUSE they're christian, not because they are good. Of course there are exceptions.. a band called Dogwood out of San Diego being a really good one. Im also a fan of Craig's Brother, a christian band... But more often than not "christian" means "not good enough to make it in the real music business" I am not trying to insult anyone, but this is what I have seen. When a GOOD band happens to be christian, i'm for it, but under no circumstances do i think that a band being christian means that christians are supposed to like it regardless of musical content.
    please don't flame me, i have no qualms with christians, just talentless musicians.
  4. It is so true how a *lot* of people (my mom included) listen to christian bands based purely on the message, not the music.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, what about POD, Skillet and World Wide Message Tribe?
  6. Yes yes.... I agree with Falsehood. I like some Christian bands, but not all just because they are christian.

People ask me why I don't like The Newsboys, I say cause I don't like that music seculary, who's to say I like it Christian style?

Since the Christian band scene is sometimes a large one, many bands who can't cut it elsewhere hop on the Christian bandwagon.

Of course some are actually good.

I never liked P.O.D., didn't like em before they were popular, don't like em now.

I like Supertones and Five Iron Frenzy though...good ska bands. ;)
  7. FalseHoodBass

I totally agree with you and I am a christian, I found when I switched teams :) I was not satisfied with the music at all. It sounded wimpy and lacked any musical ability. But however as Embelisher mentioned POD and Skillet are great bands (as far as worldwide message tribe never heard of em') Because of this lack of good christian music IMO is why I have decided to start a band of my own to try to do my part and to appear "normal" as a musician, but still be respected for my beliefs and not compromise them either. So I do agree with having a good message but I do think that some christians on the most part have given themselves a bad name and it shouldn't be that way.

Another band that has decent music is delirious -but you may have to do some searching to find some cool songs. But I agree with you totally and no offense here and that is coming from a christian.

Please hear me I am not saying all christians are bad it is just sometimes they seem to be a little behind with what is actually in style.
  8. and to a lesser extent Creed...

Like someone already said, the media never picks up anything that involves somebody pushing their beliefs, religious, political, whatever. When is the last time, since the sixties, that a band with a strong political message made it big in the mainstream?
    I also think that most christian bands simply use music as an excuse to express their beliefs, whereas with most bands the music is the important thing, and personal beliefs just come out in the lyrics.
  9. From the Christian rock i have heard theres no difference in the music except for the lyrics. I've heard Christian death metal and Christian rap songs the only difference is there not talking about the gettho and anarchey. From what i've picked up most people don;t listen to the lyrics or undersatand them anyways, and that goes for all types of music.

I think they don't make it big because they are a christian rock band. If they just said they were a rock band, and didn't preach any messages, it would be easer for them to get farther. I would say in general main stream audiances feel that to be religous is not "cool." so right away a christian band isn't going to make it.
  10. 4 words, Rage Against the Machine
  11. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have heard a lot about Creed in the media and seen bits on them on VH1 and MTV. For the most part I'm impressed with their music and in particular their lyrics and vocals. I've heard a little bit about POD , but I'm not too into their style. Here in Detroit, and to some degree nationally, Fred Hammond & Radical for Christ are getting a lot of airplay. And they deserve it.

They are high among my list of favorite musicians, christian or secular. Bass Player did an article on Fred a few months ago. Fred is the band leader / composer. He also plays bass on the studio recordings. At their live performances he's out front on vocals and Maurice Fitzgerald is on bass. Bass Player featured Maurice a month or two ago.

12. whoa, since when are MxPx on Fat Wreck? i thought they were hardcore tooth and nailers/ well if they are, good for them, it's a great label.
  13. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Fred Hammond rocks! Listen to him right away.

I have questioned about starting a band up. I was thinking maybe a band that played sec. and Christian music. Cause, as a teen-ager, I can't help but think about all the pretty girls who won't give me the time of day. I don't have a bunch of friends to talk about it to, so I write songs about it. But, I want my music to praise my God as well. I'm a little torn. Most of the Christian Rock I hear is very lame, aside from Michael Tuner.(check him out IMMEDIATELY! )

I want to make good music, but not have to focus on a gimmick(yes, many like Christian music for the fact it is Christian). So I'm in a state of talking to God and my friends trying to find out what to do. :confused: Something will happen, I know. I can write a good song, and I can play the bass well. But its darn confusing!
  14. play reggae, dude. lots of god-praising, and wicked bass.
  15. Ditto
  16. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    What should I do if I don't really like reggae?
  17. listen to bob marley and burning spear, for one thing.
  18. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Man, where are you? Do you use too much attenuation on your hearing protection?
    Where is the one, single band, that don't express their personal beliefs, frustration, feelings, desires, political ambitions?
    If they use lyrics, it's pretty obvious to anybody using their ears.
    If they don't use lyrics, they use the music to implant a feeling, that expresses their intensions.
    That is what music is: communicating.

There is no such thing as "just music" or "impartial music".

That is why a Salvation Army marching band creates an "aftertaste" that is so totally different from that of a welch coalies marching band, though their music sound so similar.
  19. memphissound

Jul 30, 2001
    Here in Memphis the Contemporary Christian, Gospel Rock, whatever you call it scene is about to take off. Check out to get an idea of what's here. Also go to and see how many are listed in the Memphis area. Knowing a little about the 'burbs you'll find that about 25% of this nation wide listing are based near Memphis. Ardent Records is based from here also (don't remember their web-site) run by Dana Key, from DeGarmo and Key.

So after hearing A LOT of what's available, the problem seems to be more with the production value than with the artists themselves. Newsboys are an excellent example. Never really cared too much for their recorded work (Take Me to Your Leader is probably their best), but when I saw them live they were really good. This is painfully obvious when you listen to the Jars of Clay album that "Flood" is on. Even ignoring the style of music if it's not to your taste, some songs sound really good and others... well they suck. Look who produced the better ones, Adrian Bellew (sp?). Kirk Franklin's Revolution album is another example of how using the production strenghts in secular music can drastically change the way a recording comes off. IMO some of the better and newer sounding material out there now includes, Third Day (classic rock sound), Plank Eye (closer to thrash but not quite), Satellite Soul (alt rock-ish), Soulfood 76 (retro funk).

The production problems come from an early school of thought in Christian music that mixes it like this: lead vocals on top, choir under that, instruments under that. Problem is, popular music ceased doing that somewhere in the 1950's and 60's when they started recognizing and treating the human voice like another instrument. The Christian music business is changing, but the older figures there are very resistant to it. To find out how good these bands are go see them live, then write their record companies and complain that they screw things up when they dry them out in the studio.:)
  20. I say go for it. Many christian artists have contributed to secular radio without compromising thier beliefs. I think it is a great idea. Get something out there, people like it and go buy thier CD only to find that there is a message in the other songs. Sixpence None the Richer is a good example. The songs they play on the secular scene have no christian message, such as the afforementioned band's "Kiss Me" and "There She Goes".

Also I don't think it is fair to say that all christian music sucks. Sure there is not a great abundance of quality christian music out there, but there really isn't a lot of christian music out there(as compared to other types of music). I think there are a lot more good bands out there now but no one gives them the time of day because they are a christian band. Another problem is the fact that to find the good stuff you have to go to christian book stores to find a good selection. In a majority of those places CDs cost an arm and a leg. Until places that offer discounted CDs or at least lower priced and more easily accessed by the geral public, then they are not going to get the proper exposure. In the book stores there are some good sampler CDs that are very cheap.

DHC and other christian punk fans, there is a CD that is called Punk Praise volume 1 and I would recommend it. If you like punk and you like praise and worship songs you should like this. :D