Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christian Bassists and GAS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAS (Gear Addiction Syndrome)

This is just to inquire about how we think about our, MY, desire to accumulate great gear, and lot's of it. I feel pretty good about paring everything down right now to 1 bass and 1 amp. But then I get to thinking, do I really need such good equipment? Couldn't I make do with "lesser quality" gear? Why do I always want something new?

For those not familiar with Christian teaching on the subject, we are not to have dissatisfaction with what we have or do not have, and are not to accumulate things here on earth (dust to dust), as material possessions are known to draw us away from God. Man cannot love both God and money (possessions).

I'm not preaching here, I just want to know if others struggle with this, and what people's thoughts are. If I left it to myself, I'd have a whole lot more gear than I do!

Mark

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As a non-perfect Christian, I have no struggle with this. If I want something better, I find a way to buy it. If I can't find a way to buy it right now (ie the fender 75 reissue jazz bass), i wait.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mark:

If you were working for a boss you really loved and he asked you to dig a large ditch, would you do it?

If you chose to do it, wouldn't you, out of love for this boss, want to do the best job that you could?

If you decided to do it and your goal was to do the best job you could, wouldn't you pick the best possible tool for the job?

If the job could be done with any tool, but there was one particular tool that filled you with such joy by using it that it made you work better, harder and more effectively, wouldn't using this tool be the right thing to do?

Wouldn't it be fair to say that there are many tools available and a smart worker would take the time to find the best tool(s) within his means to get the job done better?

Enjoy your bass(es).

<font size=1> I hope that made sense...</font>

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Great point BW.

Not being materialistic does not mean finding the cheapest peice of doodoo you can to do the job. These are not luxuries, they are tools.

On the other hand... If you have 5 MIA Fretless 5 string Jazz basses, and generally only use 2. Maybe that is excessive. So I guess getting the best tools possible, is not the same as getting all the tools that seem cool.

5. There's nothing wrong with getting "good" gear.If you love it more than you should then that's were a reality check is needed.Other than that,it definitely isn't unspiritual to acquire top notch basses/bass rigs.It boils down to your own personal stewardship of your money and priorities.

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think a far bigger problem than good ole fashioned covetousness is the notion that you can buy 'talent' - the better the gear you have, the better a musician you will be. It's a notion fostered by the advertising of bass gear - as much as I love Modulus, the notion that 'the sound in your head is in this bass' isn't strictly true, is it? the sound in your head is in your head, and to get it out there are loads of factors. I still sound like me if I'm playing a hohner P bass, but you won't sound like me if you buy my gear...

Buying gear can be motivated by a whole string of things - the drive to aquire more stuff to aleveate the boredom of life ('the pursuit of happiness has become the pursuit of novelty'), it can be a genuine desire to have the best tools. It can stem from some false sense of inadequancy, due to your friends having better gear, or it can be that you just want to show off how much cash you've got. Or it can be that you think with a new bass you'll be a better player.

It's all relative - you don't 'need' to play at all, in the grand scheme of things. But maybe in order to do what you do to the best of your ability, it's worth treating yourself once in a while to something nice. Just don't lose site of who owns it all ultimately anyway... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. My point of veiw is if you live within your means, and are not neglecting your family, then more GAS to ya ! Ones walk with god is only between that person and god. I had to sell my Harley to put a new roof on our house. Thats just the way it goes. My number one priority is my family, and I new there would be sacrifices along they way.
    But sell my 66 Jazz NOOOOOOO!!!!!! lol

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would be very interested in the scriptures that you have extracted the summary from. I am not suggesting that it is wrong, but it seems a little presumptuous. Perhaps a PM?

I guess, as most responses have elluded to, on your motivation for aquiring gear. Secondly, how does that motivation effect your ministry as a musician?

I like nice gear. Swap around. Wheel and deal. Spend a little here and spend a little there.
    I don't think it gets in the way of my ministry.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Chas

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I say acquire and maintain the most mondo gorgeous bass collection you can afford. Take good care of them. Then provide in your will that your church gets them when you die.

10. Mark, none of us are perfect, and we should all have at least one outlet/hobby at a minimum. I understand where you're coming from, but, to take this a little further, why own more than one shirt, pair of pants, shoes, et cetera? While we're on this Earth, we live within our mortal bodies, which have needs. To try to ignore these needs too much, is like not having a safety valve on a boiler; no valve, KA-BOOM ! This, you can apply to any situation/vice in life. If you really want another piece of gear and you're not neglecting any of your responsibilities, buy it. Simple as that.

Hey, they're having a sale! www.bibleonstage.org

Later,
    Mike J.

11. I don't understand why people submit themselves to what I see are constrictions of religion. Why not do what you want?

I'm not trying to pass judgement here or anything and, granted, I don't pocess a great knowledge of the bible or religious studies (I consider myself an atheist).

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cam, the reason that people submit themselves to the constrictions of religion are because they are trying to be obedient to the teachings and commandments of their chosen religion.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most of the preachers I hear on TV say that the Lord wants us all to be prosperous. So I think that the standard optimal goal of 19 electric bass guitars and an amp for each one is not inconsistent with Christian teachings. I like the idea of having the best gear while playing for God. Next time you're up there at the altar for communion, take a look around. Are they using plastic cups? Are the candlesticks made of glass? Is the pulpit made of two-by-fours and plywood? No, God wants bitchen stuff in the church. Sounds like Fodera and Aguilar to me. Or at least Lakland and Eden.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In fact, when Gard let me play that Fodera down at BC last summer, I do believe I heard the voice of God.

15. bass is not a material, it is extension of yourself like a body part.

16. This is fun, good insights. Let me try to address some people here...

Munji- I don't listen to preachers so much as I read the bible. Anyone remember Falwell, PTL. Mortals, some with agendas. Great point about the communion stuff. Doing your best for the Lord can be different than buying tons of junk for yourself, oh yeah, to use in ministry.

Cambass - I don't understand why people submit themselves to what I see are constrictions of religion. Why not do what you want?" Okay, I feel like killing everyone with red hair. Hey, it can't be wrong, it's what I want to do. Taxes, hmmmph. Take care of my family, nope. Steal bass gear, sure!

Chasarms - Gn 14.12, Ex 20.17, Lv 25.23, Nm 31.25-30, 1 Kgs 14.25, Hg 1.6, Mt 6.24, Lk 8.33-37, ACTS 20.33, PHIL 4.12.13, REV 3.17, REV 18.9-10 is a good start.

Big Wheel - great stuff.

I hope I haven't left the impression that I'm against acquiring, I'm just interested in how it's juxtaposed with our faith. I never stated what other's should do, only what I'm feeling. And no, I'm not selling my Cirrus for a Rogue!! God hates Rogues! God loves Cirruses (Cirri).

It's a gray area; good gear is OK, but it's the constantly wanting more and better that has me thinking right now.

More thoughts, please.....

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My personal struggles are less along the lines of religious tenet and more along the lines of understanding my place in the world.

When I add it all up, the list value of my equipment would keep someone above the poverty level for a year.

Selling any one of my basses or my rig would allow homeless families to eat for a substantial period of time. Hell, I have relatives who don't make in a year what my gear lists for. How do I reconcile this?

I take inventory of the things that I do to give back. For starters, when I play a church gig, I refuse to get paid. It is my gift to the church. If they insist on paying me, it goes into the collection plate. I've been blessed and I recognize that and try to help others find their blessing. It doesn't mean I have to forfeit my own. I help our church house and feed the homeless. I contribute to numerous charities and civic organizations.

Bottom line, you have to compartmentalize your life into the things you do for you and the things you do for others. Don't let one suffer at the expense of the other.

Peace,

James

18. Ok, this isn't exactly what I meant, everyone has a responsibility to stay within the boundaries of the legal system (obviously not everyone does!) but surely simply wanting better gear isn't a sin?

19. all the points that have been posted already have answered this question, but I will try to give you an idea of what we struggle with.
    Us Christians walk a thin line, we want to honor God with our lives (because He gave His life for us). but we struggle with desires and temptations of the flesh/world (which could contribute to a break in communion with God). God wants to have a personal relationship with us on a continuous basis. He wants to be a part of our lives, in every step and in every breath. when we set our hearts on things of our own desire, it breaks our communion with God. e.g. if my mind is constantly on a new bass that I want so bad, then my mind is not where it belongs, which is glorifiying God and furthering His kingdom.
    hope that makes sence.:)
    we Christians do not see submitting ourselfs to the authority of God as a constriction. the peace that God has placed in my heart as a result in my submitting my life to him, far out weighs anything this world has to offer PERIOD.

BTW Christianity is not a religion but rather a relationship. :D
    religion is mans way of reaching up to God.
    in Christianity, God has reached out to man through Jesus Christ's death on the cross as payment for my sins.
    by doing what is pleasing to God, we are simply trying to give back a little of what God has given to us, which is our lives.

20. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Can you check with God for me and see what he thinks of Yamaha? I thought he was suppossed to love all basses equally:confused:
    Is there a religion that will provide you with any bass you want....Now that would make me a believer!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.