Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christian Guitarist's Conference

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimM, Feb 3, 2002.

1. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Just got back from attending.
    Reggie Coates puts it on every year.Pretty cool,even without any Bass info.Some of us are working on Reggie to add some bass workshops.
    A friend of mine convinced him to offer a blues class and they now have that.Sounds like maybe as early as next year for bass.
    I attended the blues class,also soloing as part of worship,guitar technical(how acoustic gtrs are made and how to spot and deal with problems),and how to lead singing.
    There were many,many more classes offered.
    There were 430 guitarists in attendance,up from around 300 last year.
    The biggest treat was seeing Phil Keaggy twice in one day.The guy is indescribable.If you've heard the "Hendrix" rumor,I can tell you after seeing Keaggy it just plain does not matter what Jimi may or may not have said about him.If you get the chance,JUST DO IT!

2. whats the Hendrix rumor? doesn't Phil Keaggy play a Parker Fly? did he bring it to the confrence?

3. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Phil played(HA!,like I'm on a first name basis with him now) a cedar top single cutaway acoustic.Said he only owns about fifteen guitars.

The Hendrix rumor,if I remember correctly(iffy at best)is that when asked "what's it like to be the world's greatest guitarist",Hendrix replied "I don't know,you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy".

The humorous part for me was that I first saw him when a few minutes before the show.We had to use the men's room at the same time,along with about fifteen other guys.Guess he is human after all.

4. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC

That was Eric Clapton that said that.

5. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Well,I heard the Hendrix version from a guitarist,so you know,grain of salt and all that.

Actually Clapton is still my favorite guitarist,well after B,that is.

I forgot to mention that Phil's guitar had a big "O" on the headstock,I forgot the luthier's name.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've always heard it was Hendrix too. I wonder if anyone knows what publication the interview was in?

Phil is a very underrated guitarist. I'm a big fan of his. If he had kept playing secular rock music, I guarantee you he would be one of the guitar heroes, like Clapton, Hendrix, Jimmy Page, etc.