1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Christian McBride Extended Technique

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Rompi, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rompi

Rompi

Nov 8, 2013
    Many of you will have seen this legendary video with Christian McBride and his trio a few years back on Fried Pies. It's a sublime video with showcasing the trio's dazzling virtuosity, while still sounding sincere and having an amazing feel to it.

I've been transcribing McBride's bass solo. However, I've been unable to replicate a certain technique where he alternates between a C and Eb at about 3:47. Of course, this structurally simple line sounds very much like a line that originated on blues piano. Unfortunately, the video cuts away from McBride at the moment he plays the line. I've been trying to replicate the line myself to no avail. I have experimented with a few different hammer on and pull off approaches with my left hand, but nothing seems to get sufficient sustain to keep the line going. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is the left hand dictating the shape of the line.

Would anyone know a technique that could get that sound at 3:47 out of my bass? It would be greatly appreciated!

marcox and Slim Pickins like this.
  2. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    I’m guessing he fingers it with the thumb on C on the D string and trills to the Eb with either his 2nd or 3rd finger. I hear pronounced clicking on the fingerboard when he does it so I suspect it’s all hammer-ons and pull-offs.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is just hammer-ons & glissandos. Pretty normal technique!

robinunit likes this.