1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christian McBride - Five Peace Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by buckminster, Mar 25, 2009.

1. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    You must go see this band. McBride is freakin' unreal on both electric and upright. They are about to leave the west coast and head back east. Drive for hours through a blizzard if you must. I'm serious.

2. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you talking about his new band, put together by his new label Mack Avenue Records
    Steve Wilson -Sax
    Warren Wolf - Vibes
    Carl Allen - Drums
    Geri Allen - Piano

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    No. The band he's in with Chick Corea on keys, John McLaughlin on guitar, Vinnie Colaiuta on drums (OMG) and Kenny Garreth on sax.

I just saw them monday. Smokin' band. The whole band killed, and Christian and Vinnie were doing beautiful things with the grooves.

4. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Got my tickets. :hyper:

5. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh Man, I have been hearing about this, i just didn't know they were giging yet.
    Can't wait until they come to New York Or Philly, i will be there.

6. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Colaiuta won't be playing with them after March 26, but I've heard that Brian Blade isn't bad either. I don't think these guys would be playing with any slouches.

But I'm lucky to have seen the show in Berkeley. Colaiuta is probably the best drummer I've ever seen.

Here's a link on Chick's website for the tour schedule...

http://www.chickcorea.com/on_tour.php

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    That is correct, Brian Blade is on drums on the 2nd leg. They are already booked for 2 shows Sunday in the ATL!

8. noeli

noeli

Dec 26, 2008
    I saw them in Hong Kong about 2 months ago!
    Brian is AMAZING!
    it was a big hall and at the end all the audience was standing up with applause, not willing to leave.
    they had gone back-stage already but came back out to play us an encore!

REALLY AMAZING!

9. TBer Vision and I have tickets to the Ann Arbor, MI show next Saturday night, with Blade on drums.

I picked up the double live CD of the EU tour with Vinnie. While I find this sort of post fusion playing more interesting live than on a recording, it's quite cool. Herbie Hancock sits on on 'In a Silent Way', which makes the disc worth getting just for the historical nature of that performance.

10. By next Saturday, do you mean April 3? I hope not, I am already comitted for that night. I'll be slingin' mud at the Trinity House Theatre.

11. Saturday, April 4th.

12. Just had a gig with a keyboard player who was at the show in Berkeley that Buckminster attended. His feedback...still wiping the drool from his chin...was that McBride & Colaiuta were just ridiculous. Imagine that. :D I would love to hear Brian Blade with this ensemble and I suspect his subtle and more nuanced approach would really take the group in another direction. I'm jealous I missed out on this. :)

13. +1 I'm actually looking forward to Brian's playing with that group. My guess is it will be a little less 'balls to the walls fusion' and a bit more nuanced and dynamic, which to me is a good thing. Kind of like when Adam Nussbaum replaced Weckl (EDIT: I means Gary Novak, not Nussbaum) in that last version of the Electrik Band. It was 'less impressive', but it was 'better music' IMO, if that makes any sense.

14. Will see them next Thursday 4/2 in Austin, can't wait. I also got the cd a month or so ago and have really enjoyed listening to it. Perhaps a bit dissapointed not to see Vinnie but Brian Blade will also be awesome.

15. Ken...Brad...I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the shows.

Last time I saw Chick Corea was in December of '07 @ Yoshi's. Insane. The good 'ol boys, Gambale, Marienthal, & Weckl. With the luck of a buddy's connections, we were seated in position to smell (and be kicked by, if he desired) Chick's slip-on tennies. :) "Bombastic" doesn't even begin to cover it...my head still hurts a little bit from all the notes flying around. What prevented my noggin from exploding? Victor Wooten. I love him, and even by his standards, this was the best I'd ever heard him. He made Weckl groove, and even when he was flying along with the rest of the group, Vic provided a rock-solid foundation. Incredible night of music!

I'd love to compare not only Chick's playing (and McGlaughlin...sheesh!) between nights with Colaiuta & Blade, but also McBride's as well. Again...I'm jealous! Enjoy, fellas, and please keep reporting back. :hyper:

16. Corea and McLaughlin on the same stage is just a ridiculous prospect. Those two are monsters! McBride is great too but I don't really care for his upright playing. His electric stuff smokes though! But just imagine if they had managed to bag Stanley Clarke for the tour! :eek:

17. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes and no. Colaiuta did tear it up, but he also played with incredible finess at times. They did a tune with a samba feel that Vinnie played all the way through with brushes.

18. +1 Vinnie sure can play that way. For gosh sakes, he toured with Faith Hill for a while. However, his playing with Jeff Beck and on the Five Peace Band CD, while impressive, makes my head hurt just a little bit!!!!

19. When did that happen? I don't remember Adam Nussbaum playing with them before, but I would have liked to have seen it.

Sorry to derail.....

20. burkhardty10

burkhardty10 Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    I'm driving down to Savannah, GA to see it this weekend. Looking forward to it.