Christian McBride - Vertical Vision

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002

The drums on the second track on this album are bringing tears to my eyes they are SO GOOD!

That's all for now... I'll keep posting as I get further into the album!
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's quite the opposite for me Howard. I've had this for a month now and I still can't get into it. There's something about the overall production that I don't like. I can't put my finger exactly on it, but the drums and piano don't quite sit right with me. (Same as the last McBride disc, 'Sci Fi'

That's not criticising the performances at all, just the tone/feel of the overall sound.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Hmm, interesting...

I read about it in jazzwise - a UK 'jazz mag' ;) and thought I'd try it out since McBride waffled on about fusion, which I find I dig.

The third track REALLY says weather report to me, the mix, the keys sounds, the bass parts etc.

Obviously I havent listened to it enough to comment at a production level yet... I'll keep my ears open though.. production is an interesting topic, how it can completely make or break an album, yet has no bearing on the actual content of the song.

I have to say I'm really digging this... this track "The Ballad of Little Girl Dancer" is great.. almost headhunters. Although I must admit that so far every tune is "in the vein of" which isnt neccessarily a good thing?
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I dig it. I wish it were completely just an all-out electric fusion album (in the vein of Boogie Woogie Waltz) but it's still good.

brad cook
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    yeah i dig that fusion thing too, but the DB is so nice on most of those tracks.. i wouldn't do without that!
  6. I'm with you there. When a band can groove that hard, it's criminal to meander about with that other stuff.
  7. McBride really seems to love that dripping-with-chorus Rhodes sound. I'm not sure if I can dig that.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I like the album a lot!!! It sounds like it was recorded twenty years ago....very Weather Reportish;) I also like the fact that he used his touring band on it......the drummer is great.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed, the drummer is ass-kickin'. is Gilmore's track 2 solo.
  10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Dare I mention that Chorus covers tiny imperfections in a players intonation... maybe this has something to do with it?
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What, on a Rhodes?
  12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Sorry, i got confused... fort im was torkin bowt bass innit... it is only 9.30am dont forget!!
  13. :D

I was under the impression that the almost sickening gloss that characterized the production of Sci-Fi was a Verve thing--Kurt Rosenwinkel's The Enemies of Energy sounds much the same way--but if it's a McBride thing...well, he's a great player, but our tastes sure diverge!
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm listening to that track now... I dig it.

Mind you I'm so into the whole 70's jazz/funk/fusion thing... love it. I got into jazz via HeadHunters and I've always been into the sleazier side of 70's music. The dirtier the better :)

Jees the bass on here really is fantastic.. and those drums,,, "mummma" - where can i get me a drumer like that... you must be able to buy them somewhere.. in like a piece-together kit or something?