Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christian McBride's new album, 'Vertical Vision'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Feb 15, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just wondering whether any TalkBassers have heard this? However, I don't think it's out until Feb 25th. I didn't even know McBride has a new album coming out, but he is featured on the cover of this month's Jazzwise' magazine, and the new album is reviewed in it as well.
    There are comments such as: "His debut on Warner Bros is firmly in the contemporary jazz-rock fusion mould, and on it he demonstrates a fluidity and facility on the electric bass that reveals a love of Jaco Pastorius... McBride is the star of the show... he does solo rather too much...(Not a bad thing!) the best album by far under McBride's moniker..."

The generally accurate www.allmusic.com says: "The celebrated jazz educator, master bassist, composer, and arranger, Christian McBride provides a new recording, told in a language of blazing originality. Vertical Vision is a multi-layered musical story that features beautiful solos, great grooves, funky riffs, and virtuosic performances by each bandmember. The recording also reveals McBride's passion for strong writing, brilliant accompaniment, and eclectic melodic voicings that stay with listeners long after the record ends. On this, his debut for Warner Brothers Jazz, McBride creates a dazzling weave of passionate rhythms, musical forms, and bass voicings with his longtime bandmate Ron Blake on saxophones and flute. Geoff Keezer on piano and keyboards, Terreon Gully on drums, David Gilmore on both acoustic and electric guitars, and Danny Sadownick on percussion add their flavorful interpretations, which elevate their performances to another level at each subsequent listen. The songs were inspired by and reflect a variety of subjects including the beautiful original "Song for Maya," which is played superbly by the ensemble and features the splendid flute work of Ron Blake. It is the most beautiful of all and the one that makes its way, like the family it has come to represent, into your heart. "Lejos de Usted" — which is filled with beautiful horn voices and the vertical visions of McBride on acoustic bass — is overflowing with Latin nuance and it is there, melding the borders between jazz and Latin rhythms. Top picks: "Technicolor Nightmare,""Tahitian Pearl," "Song for Maya," and "Boogie Woogie Waltz." Overall, Vertical Vision is a masterpiece that is beautiful, spirited, brimming with energy, and meets the same high standards set and achieved on Sci-Fi."

I am going to pick this one up in the States.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Those glowing descriptions peak my curiousity. The key words above are "contemporary jazz," a phrase that includes quite a diverse range of music from Diana Krall to Kenny G to many others. Amazon.com is becoming increasingly stingy with sound bites. I hope they let us hear some of this album so we can decide if it is all the reviews say it is.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Many would dispute whether the words Kenny G and Jazz belong in the same sentence at all :D

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You can listen to a couple of tracks from the new album at http://www.wbjazz.com. The main page has a video of the CM Band playing the last track of the new album Boogie Woogie Waltz live. This BURNS! Very tasty! Then if you go to the catalog section and click on Vertical Vision under "Christian McBride" it will take you to this page where you can hear the tune The Wizard of Montara in it's entirety. This is an acoustic bass tune. Nice blend of modern and traditional elements.

Enjoy.

brad cook

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is quite a long interview with him in JazzWise which I read yesterday - where he talks about the essence of Jazz being to take chances and how Miles and Coltrane wer great because they took big risks.

So he say how he wanted to take risks and explore a lot of territory in "Vertical Vision" but that he ran into problems with marketing people as they want to put it in pigeonholes like Acoustic Jazz or Smooth Jazz or some category they can define and pin down to fit in iwth radio stations etc.

So he says :

"Sooner or later it's going to have to change because there's too much good music out there that nobody gets to hear. There are too many business people in the offices of these recording companies. Too many accountants."

He also say that his mentor, the late Ray Brown told him : "I want you to do what you do - you like to play funk,you like to play fusion. Play funk and fusion, don't let anybody scare you into playing what you don't want to play."

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Very cool words from Ray Brown (very cool to me for my own reasons that is). Thanks for sharing Bruce.

brad cook

7. Bruce Lindfield

As we were talking about Jazzwise magazine - I laughed out loud at the end of their review of Kenny G's album - "Paradise" - they said something like : if this is Paradise, I'll take my chances on Hell!! ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

I forgot to mention that JazzWise also review the album as well - so they reckon it to be the best put out under his name so far and that it is genuinely new and original - not a "hard bop retread". They really like it and mention that there is a lot more eletric bass a la Jaco, than on previous records he has played on. They say it is "firmly in the jazz-rock fusion mould", though.

They mention only one "pitfall" : "He does solo rather too much" .......but that won't be a problem for people round here now, will it? ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Hmm.
    :meh:

I'm sure I will buy this...so far, I have everything he's put out.
    Don't forget his 1st 2 'solo' releases were firmly in an acoustic hard/post bop vibe.
    ...and personally, I like the way he plays 'gadget bass'.
    ;)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'll definitely be getting this at some point too after hearing the two songs on the wbjazz.com website. Pretty smokin' stuff.

brad cook

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just got this today("promo copy").

...listened a little on the ride home-
    I like it.
    The plugged in tunes are of the nice electric Jazz variety(IMO)...not of the electric "happy/yuppie Jazz" schmaltz that is so POPular today.

McBride's band on this album is a BAND...it sounds like a group & not of sidemen backing a leader.
    The drummer, Terrion Gully, is smokin'...the more I hear outta guitarist David Gilmore, the better. he takes a ripping Rocked-out, acid-drenched solo on "Technicolor Nightmare".
    McBride's groove on Track 5, "The Ballad Of Little Girl Dancer" is classic Jaco...reminds me of "Barbary Coast".

Hasta.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I dig David Gilmore from his M-Base days......I should be getting my copy mon-tues....looking forward to it:cool:

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, I finally got something before Jerry!?

In addition to the M-Base collective, Gilmore also has it goin' on with Lost Tribe & Fima Ephron's solo disc(Soul Machine).

Screaming Headless Torso Daniel Sadownick is playing percussion on McBride's album.

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Gilmore put out a solo album two years ago, 'Ritualism'. Supposedly pretty good.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    yeah I've been looking forward to this album....should be plenty interesting...good to see McBride doing what he wants and not giving in to what the suits want

his electric playing sure is influenced by Jaco

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I got my copy yesterday and have been listening to it a lot...it rules!! Very Weather Report influenced, with a little nip of Billy Cobham. This is Christian's coming out party for electric bass:bassist: I'm also stoked that he used his road band on the album, it makes it feel more like a band and not just a session!........all great players:cool: