1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christian music?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Relic, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Interesting situation I've found myself in. I've been casually looking for a side project over the past few weeks, anything from a cover band to another originals band.
    Yesterday I was in touch with a singer/songwriter gal who's looking for a bass player. We emailed back and forth a little bit. I listened to her material, checked out her web page - WOW! The gal has an awesome voice, writes great tunes w/ elements of funk, jazz, folk, even metal, is a killer lyricist, very friendly and is absolutely drop dead gorgeous - really a perfect formula for a performer. So what's the "catch"? Well, I listened carefully to the lyrics and there are themes of Christ and salvation and such in some of the songs, when I spoke to her on the phone it became clear that she's a Christian songwriter. I was born and raised a Christian but am not particularly devout.. I'm kind of ambigous towards Christian music I guess. Dont love it dont hate it. I generally just stay away from religion or politics but the gal writes killer songs that I'd love to contribute to. Hmmm...

I know we have some Christian bass players here so I'm throwing some quite naive questions your way. Tell me about this arena of music- what does this sort of music entail? Are there many venues to showcase this? I understand that a purpose of the style is to spread God's word, but what if you are just a so-so Christian and simply like the tunes??

This is all kind of funny in a way - I feel like the guy in a joke thread a couple weeks ago who didnt know that he was in a Christian band!

2. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Like Bob Dylan said, "Your ganna have to SERVE somebody"

I personally think its God wooing you back to your first love. Giving you an opportunity to SERVE

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    From what I gather, there are lots of great performing opportunities for Christian bands, especially good ones.

For example, the guy who recorded our first album (and did a lousy job, didnt understand our music at all) was a guitarist who'd play at a church. This was a giant church, we are talking performing in front of thousands of people every week.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You oughtta talk to Zachbass02, he's in one of my favorite Christian bands. I didn't know he was until we started talking about some gear deals we were doing. I normally stay away from Christian music in general, as it is a bit...um....corny? But there are quite a few bands out there now with real musical integrity. The band he's in had a song that had some awesome vocal harmonies and arrangements that far surpassed the last batch of Christian music that I heard back in the 80s. If it feels good, do it. If you like the music, why not? A long time ago I told myself I'd play anything, as long as the lyrics didn't suck too bad...glorifying murder and violence, along with objectifying women and too much swearing is where I draw the line, personally. No "thug life" here...:D

5. I play in a Christian band. My roots are in rock and roll. I've played a variety of music in the past 35 years. To tell the truth for the most part Christian music tends to be a tad on the simplistic side. However there are more and more new Christian groups that are developing some pretty good stuff. I guess like all genres of music there is good and bad. If it feels good I'd say go for it, If you find you don't enjoy playing stop. It really doesn't matter if you're playing for God, or a sweet sixteen party, if you don't enjoy what you're doing....stop doing it.

6. i found myself in a similar situation recently. the drummer in one of my bands and i had been casual acquantences for a few years as we'd been in bands that shared stages often. i had a drinking problem at the time and he had a drg problem so we got along great at the time. after i quit the band i was in at the time i took a year or so off from music and cleaned my act up.

shortly thereafter i ran into him at a show for another band i had started playing with and found out that he too had cleaned up and was in a new band that was looking for a bass player. i told him i'd give it a shot ad showed up for a rehearsal the next week. the rehearsal went great and i really dug the music so i joined. i later found that he and the singer were now devot christians and that most of the songs which i assumed were about a girl were actually about God.

i had grown up catholic and attended 12 years of privae catholic school. this left me quite jaded about religion. seeing their passion for Christ, i began to reevaluate my faith and it has been a very rewarding and challenging journey.

not really a point to this, i jst thought i'd share my story.

b.

7. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    christian music is an abomination unto the lord and anyone forced to listen to it. i would only join the band if i thought i had a shot at the girl.

8. You are intitled to your opinion regardless of how twisted it may be

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah that's pretty much my story as well - 12 years of coercing, guilting, force-feeding religion into me left me pretty darn jaded.
    That and a pretty rough life at times...
    Funny part is that I've never stopped believing even if I have a pretty negative view of organized religion. I don't truly see myself ever being completely "born again" so to speak but I've always felt that I needed to come back "home" a bit. Maybe this is all for a purpose who knows?
    This is the first audition in pretty much 15 years that I've been anxious over!

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    And what if you DID get the girl?? Ahhhhh I see a brother tupelo who's gonna start liking Christian music a awful lot! :D
    Just messin with ya dude.

11. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    I thought the Devil had all the best tunes?

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Even that wouldn't be worth it.

But if you're serious about joining, let her take care of the lyrics, and you just worry about the music.

Or bust out some Slayer halfway through the set.

13. Relic,
    My wife and I front our Music Ministry group, and also play in a secular band. If you feel a "call" to do this, and since your at a fork, the "Christian way" of getting an answer is to pray on it. There must be something that's piqued your interest about this situation.
    Also, being in your word's "not devout", well, if your feeling a "calling" those seed's that the song's are spreading might also be speak to you! Relic, who knows, this situation can be life changin'!
    Peace

14. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    he does! :bassist: \m/-_-\m/

15. I find the Christian / religious music topic very interesting. Some of my favorite acts are Christian on some level (King's X, Jars of Clay, Galactic Cowboys) but I am Atheist, devoutly so. I very much appreciate the music and the passion these artists present, but I could never join this type of band. It's not who I am.

If the religious aspect of the project made you think twice about joining (and it did, as you posted this here) I would take a pass on the project.

Best of luck, not matter what you decide!

16. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I'd sort it out, up front:

Is it a "christian band", or is it a band that happens to be fronted by someone who's christian?

I'd run a mile from a "christian band", or any band with an agenda. I don't want to be expected to endorse or be "on message" reguardless of what that is.

But if the music is good, and the singer happens to sing about some stuff thats important to her occasionally thats fine. After all I play in a rock covers bands that has songs about all sorts of things I'd never actuall do.

I'd ask her how she'd feel if you were definitifly non-christian - would you still get the gig? If she's picking band members based on religeon, then it's going to blow up on you later: Two drummers audition, and you pick the one that sucks because he's more devout... Kinda like "girl" bands - they usually suck (not that there aren't great female players of all instruments, but things go downhill when the playing is secondary).

Is the religeous content going to limit the gigs you can get? If not then don't worry about it.

Ian

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    At the audition act like you are really devout.

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, that's just the thing though - I dont know enough about Christian music to really make an informed descision on whether I like it or hate it. I've just heard the songs that we would be playing in this project and they are really really good, religious content or not.
    As I said, I'm not overly religious, but neither am I Agnostic/Athiest. It's man's interpretation and twisting of religion that has me jaded, I never stopped believing in Jesus to be honest - hence me posting about this here. It's not an automatic turn-off for me as I'm a believer, but neither is it a selling point.
    Since I dont know much about this I'd thought I'd ask the Christian bass players here to kind of "edumacate" me a bit.

19. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I'd say go for it. From what you've said, she is not advertising for Christian musicians nor did it come up in your email exchanges. If you like the music and think you have something to contribute, do it. You may even reconnect with your faith.

20. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well it sounds to me like she's a Christian who is a singer/songwriter, and writes about what's important to her, as opposed to a CCM praise/worship leader. Maybe think Thrice instead of Third Day. At least that's what I'm drawing from your description.

Ask her what she wants to do with her music, in practical, earthly terms, not just the whole "glorify God" stock answer. And be honest that you're a non-churchgoer, and ask if she's okay with that.

As long as everyone involved can be comfortable with with the answers to the questions above, I don't see any problem.