Christian Olde Wolbers' bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skavenger, May 27, 2002.

1. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    What kind of bass does Fear Factory's Christian Olde Wolbers play? Is it a variety of basses or does he just stick o one?
  2. On Demanufacture and Obsolete he used ESP basses, the F body shape, loaded with EMG pickups. For Digimortal he switched to Fender Custom Shop Jazz and Precision basses, with Bill Lawrence humbuckers and just volume knobs. The double pickup ones have a Fender Double J at the neck. The fives are tuned either BEADG or ADGCF. He uses DR strings, Lo-Riders or High Beams. He uses Ampeg amps and cabs, an SVT-4PRO for lows into 4x10's, a Billy Sheehan Pre driving an SVT-II into an 8x10 for distortion.
  3. PanteraFan's description of Olde Wolbers's Rig is pretty close to mine. Let me add Ibanez Ergodynes during tours promoting "Demanufacture", you can see a big picture of him playing one on the '98 Ibanez Catalog promoting the Ergodyne Series. The exact model he used was the EDB605GP (my actual baby :D )

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He held one for an advertisement, but did he actually play one?
  5. Not 100% sure, I know he used one live, but i doubt the fact if it was one of his main axes.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of his basses looked very much like a Fender Roscoe Beck V model with just one pickup and either no pickguard or a black pickguard that matched the body. It had a maple neck with black block inlays, but the body style looked like RB5 and not Jazz.

Shoot, I wish I had a link to the picture.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can confirm that in Ibanez's "Seventh Heaven" promotional video, Christian is seen several times playing the Ergodyne during live footage of FF onstage.
  8. He had both the Jazz and Precision body styles and headstocks slightly modified for his custom work, so it's feasible that a modified P shape or J shape could look like the RB5. I saw them twice promoting Digimortal, and none of his three basses, all fivers, had a pickguard. One was all black, one was natural with one pickup, and another was natural with two pickups.

EDIT: The black one was definitely the old Jazz shape. Not sure about the other two.
  9. glenn brady

glenn brady

Oct 10, 2002
    i'm not a fan of Fear Factory at all, but there is a picture of Christian holding the Custom Shop RBV on page 172 in the 2003 Fender Frontline catalog

Natural Body, Single Bill Lawrence in Bridge postion, single volume knob, black RBV pickguard, maple V neck with black block inlays and black binding, a la Geddy Lee

I seriously wonder what the RBV bass would sound like with a maple neck, the pao ferro never cut it for me

just a heads up
  10. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    When i saw them live he was playing a RB5 with the Neck pickup pulled out. It still had the original pick guard on it and the pick up route was still there.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a bootleg set of theirs from Ozzfest 99, and he was already using the Fender axes, so I think he might have used them on Obsolete, but I'm not sure. I know he toured with them in support of the album, though.
  12. Nobody has commented on this thread in 10 years...well lets see about that.

He used 5 string ESP Horizon basses (black one which garnered stickers over time, and a natural one) from 1994-1995. Then from 1996-1997 he used an Ibanez Soundgear. Then for Obsolete in 1998 he used the Fender bass.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member