Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christian Organization Looking for Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Apr 20, 2003.

1. For the last year and a half, I have been volunteering at a christian nightclub called "The Attic", that lets local bands come in, and play on a professional setup. The guy who was in charge of it, was a very close personal friend of mine, who really taught me alot about sound, and life in general. He owned all of the equipment that we used at the club. We had a 40 channel, 25 bus professional yamaha mixing console, four different monitor setups, over 10,000 watts in Mains power, and a safe clean place for bands to come play in. Bands loved playing at "The Attic", because very often, it was their first time playing with even a PA, and it was just an incredible oppurtunity to come and play on our system. It was great for us, because we knew the kids were off of the street, not doing anything bad, and we even had the chance to minister to them alot, and had many kids change their lifestyle because of one night at "The Attic"

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The guy in charge of all the equipment, my close friend, had a falling out with the organization, and has since taken all of his equipment, leaving us with nothing. Now I have been going week by week, trying to scrounge up enough equipment to provide mics to the bands. I have decided that this is now my chance to step up, and help out the organization. I am going to start a fundraising campaign to get equipment for the club, and get the money to pay for it all. When I started this, I immediately thought of Talkbass.
    I know a large number of people on Talkbass have connections with various dealers, stores, or even just know people with equipment lying around unused. If anyone knows some way in which you could help us out, by either helping us to get equipment or monetary donations, please e-mail me at Paul@thesgt.com. I am very desperate right now, trying to provide something for these bands, and anything is helpful. Depending on the equipment I get, I'm going to need between $10,000-$20,000 to finish this mission. So the more equipment I get, the lower that number is. If you would like a list of the stuff I am looking for feel free to email me, and I can send it to you. I thank you guys in advance for any help that you might be able to give.

-Paul Lehner

P.S. If you would like any more information about "The Attic" or Harvest Youth Ministries, check out the website at www.theatticclub.org

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    wow man..

Merry Eastermess ;)

I wish I could help someway though man. It sounds really cool. I wish my church could do something like that. Maybe you could do a charity event sometime. I would go for it man.
    Well sorry I couldn't help but good luck.
    Ill be prayin for ya.

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, have you contacted your local council?

Our youth project got a fair bit of dosh from our council for musical stuff for the locals, now having a Yamaha 1000W PA (dont know the model or speaker number sorry), 300W marshall bass amp, 300W marshall guitar amp, pearl forum drum kit, and a bunch of mics and stand.

4. Unfortunately I did talk to my city council member extensively about this. Considering she's my mom, I thought she could be more helpful, but she said they don't really allocate money to things like this. Thanks for the idea though!

5. Well today I started my calls to people, and unfortunately, I haven't had too much luck getting people to donate money, so it looks like I'm going to have to scrounge for gear donations. If anyone knows where I can get some used good gear, that would be great. Also, I still do need money for some stuff, so if anyone knows any wealthy millionare musicians that would be super!:D

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you solicit businesses around town, you ask them for a "sponsorship" instead of a "donation."

That allows them to write the whole thing off as a business expense.

You can sweeten it by printing their business' names in any literature, web sites, signage, etc., for the club, to let people know that they helped out. Good for their businesses.

We're doing that right now for an academic competition my kids are involved in.

Good luck, man.

7. How does a Christian night club differ from a normal nightclub?

8. We are a teen nightclub, so the age limit is from 15-19. Our basic idea, is that we want to give teens a place where they can go, and rather then going and drinking every weekend, they can come to the Attic, and just party, without worrying about alcohol, and drugs. We have alot of security so its a safe place, and pretty much anything the kids want to do we let them do, as long as it has nothing to do with drugs, sex, and drinking. When most people think of a christian nightclub, they think of a place where you go, and stand around, and listen to a guy preach about the evils of the Fox tv station. We are just like any other club out there, and we by no means force our religion on people. We merely provide them a safe place to come and party.