Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christian songs with badass basslines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, May 27, 2003.

1. I was wondering what your favourtie Christian song basslines were.

I have just discovered "I Will Celebrate" by Paul and Rita Baloche. Anyone know who the bassist is? That has got one heck of a wicked bassline in it.

whats your favourite?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Man, this thread has been done, but check out some stuff by the praise and worship group called "passion" they have some songs with bass lines that really groove, plus tons of cool fills and licks to steal and use yourself.

Mark

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Any song from All Together Seperate.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You gotta check out Charlie Hall's "Porch and Alter" CD featuring Pat "The Tone" Malone on bass. FAT tone and some sweet basslines. Nice songs too. Pat Malone plays on a lot of the Passion CD's. You can just barely get a taste of some the bass here: http://www.grassrootsmusic.com/artist/hall/hall3
    Click on song number 3. It grooves.

I also dig a lot of DigHayZoose's basslines. They aren't around anymore but if you can find the CD "MagentaMantaLoveTree" that has some nice stuff. It's kinda hard and pretty funky/grooving throughout. Great musicians.

Derek Horne has a solo CD out and I haven't heard it but I'd be willing to bet it's good. He's one badass bassist. I've heard him on Shane Barnard's "Psalms" CD. Not real showy on that CD but tasteful.

Waterdeep - "Live at The New Earth." Oh Yeah!! One of my top five bands of all time in great live form. This was the last show of the best bassist that they've had (among many) Anthony Case. He has some great solos here that should be heard by all. Includes nods to Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins among others.
    http://www.grassrootsmusic.com/artist/waterdeep/waterdeep4
    Click on number 8. Awww yeah...!
    Also their album "Whole Nother Deal" has some tasteful bass playing. The highlight of that one is the SWEET fretless tone on the song "O Virginia," (courtesy of a p-bass with Moses fretless neck).

Edit: Hey I just realized that you can download the whole mp3 of O Virginia here: http://static.grassrootsmusic.com/mp3/Don Chaffer - O Virginia.mp3
    Download that and listen at least to the point where there's a break and you just hear that singing fretless. Sweet.

brad cook

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah...for something a bit more McCartney-esque check out Jars of Clay "If I Left the Zoo." Definitely some Paul influence here. Great album, great songs.

brad cook

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    check out the Enemys Camp Meldley by Brownsville. S'mokin bass work through out. Very Rocco Prestiaish on some of it.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Check out Fred Hammond's "Pages of Life Chapters i & ii". Two CD set where one CD is a live recording, the other is studio. Smokin'!! It's also available on video and DVD.

Check out Fred Hammond's "Purpose By Design", also on Video and DVD. Fred is the bassist on the CD, Maurice Fitzgerald is the bassist on the video / DVD.

Check out Isreal & the New Breed's "A New Season". Terrance Palmer reminds me of Verdine White (Earth Wind & Fire) in terms of style.

Check out the single "In The Sanctuary" by Kurt Carr and the Kurt Carr Singers. The bass line is simple, but very intoxicating in the way that "Another One Bites The Dust" was intoxicating.

That's all I got off the top of my head at 1:50 am (what the hell is my problem? I DO have to work tomorrow. I mean today)

Peace,

James

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I have to ask......

Is the term "Badass" acceptable to the Christian Church?:eek: ;)

Sorry, I have nothing to add (except I enjoy the "Christian" group "Pray For Rain").:)

9. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Anything by the supertones.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

11. YES!! i also must add Paul COlman Trio. Their bassist Grant Norsworthy is my fave and really orginale style.

Salvador is pretty sweet too

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How so? I saw them in concert and didn't find the music or the bass playing to be that original IMO but maybe I need to give another listen. What would you say distinguishes his style from the average rock bassist?

brad cook

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If not, then I'd better tape over the bridge on my MM Jazz :eek:

Peace,

James

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Burlap To Cashmere "Anybody Out There"
    Phil Keaggy "Happy"

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :eek: :eek: :D

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Radium!!

:rolleyes:

hmm,, not anymore!

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    You're going to Hell for saying that. On the Hell express.

For those with no sense of humor:
    :D :D :D <-----NOTE SMILIES