Christian TB'ers, what are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by matrok, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Looking for new music. On the secular side, I like everything from The Ramones to Jaco, Prog to World music. Christian artists I like D.C. Talk, Stavesacre(not so much their last one), Luna Halo, Insyderz, Reliant K. Don't really care for the Newsboys or Third Day.

What do you like? Anything along the lines of Prog out there?
  2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  3. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    As far as "Christian" music I've been listening to Building 429 lately. They're a pretty decent rock band. Other than that I don't listen to much Christian music except Project 86.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Matt, I think you know from hanging out that unfortunently theres not a lot of Christian Music in the ole collection these days. The lack of muscianship in the new worship and praise stuff (Crowder, Third Day) leaves me cold, I guess Sonic Flood does some creative stuff, still love Charlie Peacock, and still turn the tables with Fred Hammond if I need a bass clinic. In Christian Pop it seems like once Nashville gets ahold of them they homoginize into Generic Pablum pretty fast, whitness the difference between the first and second efforts of Jennifer Knapp and Out of the Gray for prime examples of this. On the Secular side the Maroon 5 effort is not bad, still like John Mayer, Joss Stone. But I find myself listening to old R & B a lot more these days, great simple songs, good melodys, great bass lines! Of course the Jazz CD collection just keeps growing, just added the Hudson Project(j.pattuchi, p.erskin, j.abecrombie, and b, mintzer) and the Chick Acoustic band thing with all the standreds on it. If I want to listen to prog I just pull out the cassette of my old band! Had enough of that already :rolleyes:
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Steve Taylor. His bass player is amazing. Also, he gave permission to anybody to download his entire catalog wherever they can, since he can't get Sparrow to reissue them.
  6. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I hear you on the R&B stuff, I'd like to see what you have in your collection. After you mentioned "I want you back", I had to figure it out. Did it from memory, now I have to get the recording and check myself. :eyebrow:

"Standing in the Shadows" has been my latest inspiration, Babbit is amazing.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Soul Junk - 1956. One of my favorite albums of all time

ALso been listing to Wovenhand's 'Consider the Birds.' It's also a great album but it's not for everyone (Same thing with Soul Junk). Here's a free, legal mp3 from the Wovenhand album: link.

To go a bit more mainstream I've also been enjoying the Shane and Shane album "Clean" as well. The song "Fringes" on that album is great IMO.

Aside from those I've been a Waterdeep fan for many years and probably always will be so I pull out various Waterdeep albums all the time.

I think Crowder is quite musical and has become even moreso as they've moved along. I've been onto them since before they hit it big because I had a friend who went to the church where he lead worship. Also crowder's drummer and I got hired on to play the same gig and we've talked occasionally since then although it's been a while. If you compare 'Illuminate' to their first albums it's far above and beyond in my opinion. I can say for certain that they are definitely interested in putting out quality music. I agree with you about Third Day though...I've never found their music interesting and it's not on the same level as Crowder's stuff. Have you ever checked out Robbie Seay? He's got some decent stuff. He's got a good bassist too (who also happens to have a ton of KILLER gear!).

All the secular stuff I listen too would be too much to list but here's a few... King Crimson, Medeski Martin and Wood, Galactic, Tom Waits, Ozomatli, Bjork, Philip Glass, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, The Eels, etc, etc...

brad cook
  8. For punk, I've always loved Ace Troubleshooter. Sadly, they've recently broke up...their vocalist now plays bass in Relient K. Relient K is decent I guess, but Ace was way better.

Now to the christian-metal front. The new Norma Jean cd is very good (titled "O God The Aftermath"). I don't like their previous material, but this new vocalist is much better IMO, and his lyrics are absolutely amazing. I also loved Zao's latest cd, The Funeral Of God. I'm also a sucker for concept albums, so I liked that one alot.
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I am athiest.

I am listening to some Mingus.

I shall not be oppressed! Huzzuh!

*runs away*
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well God still loves you, and He loves Mingus too! Ecspecially that thing he did with Coltrane! :D
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We are blessed to have an independent, listener supported Christian Rock station in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Plus, they have a bulletin board for local shows. How cool is it to see your bands name on a radio station's website?:D

APR 2
    5:00 PMFWRC Band, Lego, Billiam, Lucid Dreamer and Chirho.
    Restoration Church / 1720 Northwest 25th St. / Fort Worth
    $0.00(817) 625-2956

New stuff I like? Anberlin, Charity Von, Kutless(their new P&W album is fantastic!), Pillar, and the new Superchic(k) song. Plus old standbys like Relient K, Toby Mac, DC Talk, etc.

Of course, being a bass player, I love Fred Hammond's stuff, not just for the bass, but for the vocals too. I really like his singing.

I like Jeremy Camp a lot, and his new wife's former band, The Benjamin Gate.

Secular, I am still really into Rush, King's X, Galactic Cowboys, King Crimson, and a lot of fusion stuff.
  12. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Same here. A guitarist buddy of mine and I use to play some of his stuff for an on-campus Christian group.
  13. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Our local Christian station is really sad. They play about two songs, then launch into a parade of commercials. Plus all they play is really mainstream pop Christian, nothing with any edge. I used to listen to Christian Pirate Radio when I was working, was sorry to see that go.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be checking those out. If you think of any others, please PM me.

14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Christian - listen to 99% secular music, be it instrumental or with vocals.

Oh, then there's Dominique DiPiazza.

IMO Christian music would be better off dying and being brought back 10-20 years from now. It's gotten to the point where it's so pathetic, homogenized and weak that it's not worth even thinking about...IMO

I saw PAX 217 a couple months ago (free show). Even my friends that thought they were a decent Christian band were surprised. One of the lamest shows I've ever heard, ambiguous musical styles, weak musicianship, 2 chord songwriting, just bad.
  15. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I usually have a really hard time finding good music to listen to. Depending on what you like, here are a few ideas:

Robbie Seay Band. Phenominal. I honestly listen to them every day. Phenominal bass work (one of TB's own...). What can I say, you just gotta check them out.

One Accord is nice. They are a group based out of North Central University here in MN. They change yearly and release a CD as well. Always phenominal IMO.

Dead Poetic is pretty good. For some reason they remind me of The Used. I just picked up their New Medicines CD. For the most part, it's pretty good.

I used to really dig Pax217, but now... whatever. They're somewhat diverse, or at least were at one time.

Jeremy Camp. Awesome.

I am also backing up the new Kutless P&W CD. I love it.

There's tons of stuff out there, you just really have to dig to find it.

For those metalheads... Norma Jean is pretty fly.

Pillar is also enjoyable to my ear. I saw them live once and it was one of the best concerts I've seen. Noah smashed a guitar and I got some of the remains.... ah... the good old days.

If I think of anything else, I'll toss it up on here. My pastor usually gets free new music and gives it to me. I'll let you guys know if anything really cool shows up.

I hope this helped somewhat, it not... my bad.
  16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  17. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    The progressive groups I like best are Superchick and O.C. Supertones. However, since we have a lot "Top 40" Christian stations in the area, I mostly listen to the mainstream Christian stuff like Chris Tomlin. I play a lot of his stuff during worship as well. I like his recent release, "Indescribable." It has a decent bass line, too.
  18. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry man but you need to reassess your use of the word progressive! That's not a knock on those groups but "progressive" refers to a specific genre and neither of those groups are in it.

brad cook
  19. Supertones is pretty cool. I find lately I've been listening to some Apologetix, a band that makes Christian parodies of popular songs. Really great stuff.

Other than that I listen to just about what any other bass player would listen to, Jaco, Vic, Patitucci, etc.
  20. mortification... they have a wonderful whole song which is a bass solo, called: "Flight of Victory"
    it's on their "post momentary afflication" album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.