Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christmas B Tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by mbc, Nov 15, 2002.

1. mbc

mbc

Nov 15, 2002
    St Paul, MN, USA
    I have found a few (5 of 'em) christmas tabs here, but does anyone know of a more complete source for 'em? Even commercial books or something.. getting desparate here
    thanks... Mike:D

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What exactly are you looking for? Christmas songs (eg. "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas") or Christmas Carols (eg. "Angels From the Realms of Glory").

Also, where have you looked and what have you got so far (to save any kind-hearted souls turning up the same old stones)?

Wulf

3. mbc

mbc

Nov 15, 2002
    St Paul, MN, USA
    Thanks for the reply!

I am looking for:

Jingle Bell Rock
    Here Comes Santa Clause
    Santa Clause is Coming to Town
    Let it Snow
    Have Yourself a Merry Christmas
    Winter Wonderland
    Deck the Halls
    Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

I am a new Bass player (about 6 months), and some of the guys at work are trying to get a band together to play some christmas tunes for our christmas party. This will be my first chance to play with real PEOPLE, so I am kind of looking forward to not making a fool of myself :)

Any help would be very appreciated!

Mike

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Not tab, but if you don't mind just taking the chord root and working from there, I highly recommend "Ultimate Christmas Fake book" from Hal Leonard. It has a couple of hundred Christmas favorites, including several of the ones in your list. It has the piano parts, the vocals, the bass cleff line AND the guitar chords. As a new player, you'd probably pull off playing the chord line better than a tab line anyway. I speak from experience as a 6 month player myself. Just do an online search on it and you'll find a dozen or more places selling it for various prices. Aroung 20 bucks or so.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I recognise some of those titles but don't know the location of tab for any of them (LoJoe's advice sounds good though - it might be worth looking that book up).

Two thoughts do pop into my mind:

1. Find out who has recorded the songs and then check tab archives under those archives (probably won't turn up anything more than using various search tools though)

2. Check with the guys you're playing with what music they've got. Even if you do get tab, it will do you no good if the version they know is different (which is why "The Ultimate Christmas Fakebook" might be a good option - it's not bass specifid and therefore could be a resource for the whole group... or one of them may already have it).

Wulf

6. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Here is the book I was talking about. Mine is about 5 years old so it's not the latest edition. I've used it for guitar at Christmas singalongs for those past 5 years and it works great. The guitar chord changes are all listed in it which is quite usable for the bass root changes also. Much easier than trying to tab along to the melody line note by note.

http://www.halleonard.com/item_toc....de=01&itemid=240045&type=product&refer=search

7. mbc

mbc

Nov 15, 2002
    St Paul, MN, USA
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think the book is my best source for info at this point. Will stop by the local shop this week and pick one up (hope they have 'em in stock). Will make sure the rest of the Band guys are working from the same book too!

Thanks again - great info!

Mike