Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christmas Bass Quartet - pretty cool

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zbigniew, Dec 19, 2004.

1. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Hi all, here's a cool christmas bass quartet performance - this is a well known Icelandic christmas song

go to :

Icelandic national tv

then click on the upper right corner where is says "Sjónvarpið" - there will open a window and in it click 18 on the calender - find "19:40 Laugardagskvöld með Gísla Marteini" and now there will open a recording of a talk show on which the opening number is the performance of a christmas song on 3 bass guitars and an upright.

(sorry for not being able to post the file itself - I hope you have been able to follow my instructions)

Pretty cool eh?? I think so :)
    This guy which is one of the best known and most recorded bassists in Iceland put out last year a whole cd of christmas songs performed only on bass, I haven't heard it all yet but hopefully will soon.

Has someone done this before? How about Dave Pomeroy? Didn't he do something like this? Please post if you know of any other bassist that has done something like this :)

2. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    someone? anyone? did noone but me find this cool? :)

3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I thought it was very cool! That's the first time I've ever heard a bass quartet. Every year at Christmas there's a get together of 50+ tuba, euphonium and sousaphone players here in Dallas. They play Carols for the crowd that gathers. I've never seen it live (always at work when it's happening), but it's usually on the news.