Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christmas Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akrein62, Dec 26, 2005.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm a newcomer to the bass world and this is my first bass. It's a Peavey Axcellerator 5 I found on ebay for $230+shipping. Don't really know if it was a good deal or not, but it's American made and in good condition. Just a few minor scratches. Even though I've never played bass before, I wanted a 5 string for some reason. Can't get enough low end I guess :D . I actually got it a couple weeks ago, but my wife would only let me see it long enough to check that it arrived in one piece. It feels good in my hands. Now I need to arrange some lessons and learn how to play. I also found my amp on ebay, a used Crate BFX100 for $250. It's a bit bigger and heavier tan expected, but was lightly used and the seller delivered it in person and I didn't have to pay shipping. I like the sound of this combo. Here's a pic of the bass (I hope):

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35903525498.jpg&s=x12

I've been reading the forums here a lot lately and have asked a couple questions. Thanks for all of the info.

Andy

2. that looks lovely :)

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on your new bass. I hope it arrives soon. I do not know alot about Peavey basses but I do know the Axcellerator gets very favourable reviews from owners. Post some pics once it arrives!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That's a great looking bass! Welcome to the world of the low end and Talkbass! You've come into playing bass at a great time. In the past few years, manufacturers have really started listening to the bass player. Ten years ago, it seems the only combos available supplied only a minimal amount of power. If you were lucky, you could find a 200w combo, but you'd be paying out the nose for it. Nowadays, there are virtually unlimited avenues to go down to find the right equipment for you. Again, congrats!

5. hal leonard play bass today is a great book and cd / dvd combo to start with. it helped me a great deal. i wanted to learn not only to play but to read and understand music theory this book does both. look into it. i promise you wont be sorry. good luck. mike

6. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Great looking bass! Welcome to the world of Bass! ;)

Jim

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Hey, that is the one I was thinking about bidding on! Congrats, man!

VERY under-rated bass. You would have to spend a LOT more $$ to get anything better!

Dan K.

8. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The thing about that bass is that it cuts through the mix extremely well. I borrowed another guy's axcellerator for a rock venue. Over the drums and two guitars you could distinctly hear every note I was playing. Great bass.

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    That was my first bass too, I'd say it got me off on the right foot. I eventually de-fretted mine and sold it a while later. It will be a great first bass. The pickups in that thing are sweet. Don't take that case for granted either, It's a tank! Mine flew out of the back of my truck (the latch was later found to be faulty) going 30 mph andk the bass was fine and the case just had a crack on one corner!

10. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Thanks for the welcomes and the comments. I can't wait to sink my teeth into learning to play. I'll check out that Hal Leonard book/cd. I'm also going to look into lessons. 42 years old, but still not too old to take lessons. :bassist:

I have no idea how old the strings are. They look good and sound bright, but I'm no expert. Also a little rattle on the A string. I was thinking about a set of Rotosound 77 flats. Good or bad idea?

Thanks again,

Andy