1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

christmas eve fire

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by username1, Jan 7, 2012.

  1. username1


    Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Had our down town rehersal spot burn to the ground on christmas eve with all our band equipment. I lost my mb fusion, two 410 cabs, a 210cab and my soundcraft board. Unfortunatly we didn't have our equipment insured. Luckily I play in 2 bands and had my bass and pf500 with two pf115 cabs stored at the other rehersal spot. Just a reminder to anyone who reherses in an older building that its not a bad idea to have your equipment insured. I dont have contents insure on my apartment suite either which i was told might have been able to cover this equipment.

    Attached Files:

  2. Ric Vice

    Ric Vice Supporting Member

    Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Sorry to hear about you're loss. Fortunately, you had two different rigs, so you can continue to play and do gigs.

  3. skwee


    Apr 2, 2010
    absolute bummer. Sorry.
  4. greenboy


    Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you're ever south of the border with sufficient cargo space I'd be happy to give you my Ampeg 1832 Extreme cab. Sorry to hear of your misfortune here.
  5. username1


    Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    That is very generous of you. I guess its time to update my profile, alot of equipment listed has also been sold in the last few years but i do still have my pf500 and cabs which i feel lucky to still have a bass amp. Thank you all for your concern.
  6. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sad to hear about the fire but I'm glad nobody was hurt. Insurance is a waste of money as long as you don't need it. It's vital when you do. Please get your home insured and add a rider, if necessary, to cover your equipment.
  7. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

    Justin Meldal-Johnsen turned me onto these guys, and I've heard nothing but good out of them...they insure gear in increments of $10,000 for like $100 a year or some crazy figure, and they pay off legit claims promptly and fully. I've yet to insure my gear with them because I believe insurance to be legalized gambling and I'm pretty sure it's covered under homeowner's insurance anyway,, but after this sad story, I'm tempted to try it just to be on the safe side.

    Sorry it happened username, but at least nobody got hurt. I've been there before my own self. Lost a 73 V4b and 810 in a bar fire over 20 years ago, and the rest of my band lost pretty much everything they owned, and had no insurance.
  8. domestique


    Sep 5, 2011
    Im sorry to hear about your lost equipment, at least no one was hurt.

    Jimmy, I would look into your home owners policy more carefuly. Most policies to not cover "professionals" (i.e. camera gear for wedding photogs, pro musicians such as yourself etc.).

    For State Farm I needed to get separate riders on anything that is used for making primary income.
  9. coreyfyfe

    coreyfyfe Supporting Member

    Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Jimmy unless you have a specific rider it's not covered under your home owners policy, especially since you use your gear to earn a living.

    Musicpro is great. I use them and they've already helped me out when we lost some gear while touring (trailer wasn't latched and some equipment fell out while driving). It may be gambling but so is playing road shows with good gear. IMO.
  10. Tim1


    Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you run your bass gigs as a business and declare it for tax purposes I do not think it is covered by home insurance, it needs a business insurance policy. I discovered this many years ago when I had a 63 P bass stolen from my home (sob). If there is no record of you making money from it I would suspect it can be classed as a hobby and home insurance may cover it - but I am no expert in this field, best to ask your insurance company to check. Having been royally investigated by the inland revenue I have no choice but to buy business insurance.
  11. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh shoot...I always thought that if you didn't take your stuff out more than 4x a week that it would be covered under homeowners' whether you are a pro or not. Guess I better look closer at our policy. Thanks for the tipoff...not that my gear is especially expensive, but some of it ain't cheap.
  12. What a bummer man. Sorry to hear about your gear loss. At least you and band mates are safe.
  13. Baird6869

    Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

    That sucks, dude!!!

    In Canada, homeowners (or car) insurance does not include musc equipment IF it generates income.

    If you have a defined "gig bass" that you use to make money, but the rest of your gear is a "collection", you are good to go if equipment is stolen, lost, etc.

    As an example, if your basses/amp are stolen out of your car at a gig you are getting $50 to play, you are SOL and will get nothing. If you are at a jam night and not getting paid and the same thing happens, you will be fully reimbursed.

    In Canada (and likely elsewhere), knowing your policy is critical. If you lose gear in a fire, theft, flood, etc., and say the wrong thing when you try to make a claim, you are screwed.

    P.s. I added a huge contents Addition for music gear and the insurance company gladly took my $$$$... But forgot to inform me that I wasn't covered if I made $$$$ with the gear.
  14. Jerry Ziarko

    Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Jimmy, Your gear is NOT covered under a normal home owners insurance policy. musicproinsurance.com is the real deal. You don't have to insure increments of 10k. It is based on what you actually insure, however the minimum premium is $100. They cover just about any calamity other than wear or misuse. ( fire, theft, flood, accidental damage etc) Deductibles are fair, and the premiums are cheap, considering the piece of mind it brings. I've been using them for some years now. I've never needed them, thank God, but I no longer fret if the unfortunate should occur.
  15. coreyfyfe

    coreyfyfe Supporting Member

    Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You sure on that? At least state-side, they consider any use outside the home to be indicative of use as a "professional" regardless of how much income you actually generate. My renters insurance agent told me they had a case where a guy had gear stolen and claimed he didn't use his instruments for personal gain but the claims rep googled around and found pictures of him playing out and used that to deny the claim. Sucks but that's the way they work.
  16. Baird6869

    Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

    Positive. I had my 1973 Jazz stolen out of my truck after a jam last year and it was replaced (full replacement value). If it was left after a gig, I would have been denied. This of course came out AFTER the claim was approved.

    State Farm. But they aren't stupid... They told me later that they looked at as many gig pics of me they could find.... If they saw one with me playing that bass, I would have been denied.

  17. Baird6869

    Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

    Not sure this company insures outside of Canada to the OP.
  18. I put a rider on my homeowners insurance to cover a bunch of recording gear I have in my basement. It was strictly for song demo's & political parody work I've done over the years. Had to supply photo's of the gear etc. but there was no problem as it did not generate any income, personal use only. I have a couple of guitars and a spare bass that are covered as well as they don't get played out.

    Years ago our drummer had our guitar player try out his "Blackey Strat" that got lifted during load out. Insurance company paid out because even though the drummer was being paid he wasn't playing nor using the guitar professionally. Guitar was for sale, deal committed subject to playing on stage.

    Two years later he got a phone call from the police saying they had recovered it & he bought it back from the insurance company for 1/2 of what they paid out.
  19. Jerry Ziarko

    Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Either things work a bit differently in Canada, or you have one hell of an agent. State Farm has my homeowners, and they said, no how, no way, unless you have a specific "Personal Articles Policy." And that doesn't offer near the protection that I get from musicpro. Homeowners insurance doesn't cover breakage due to wear or droppage, car running over instrument, etc. Also, homeowners insurance only covers non professional use instruments in your home or car. At a gig, rehearsal, etc etc, and it's stolen, you're out of luck.
  20. Wow bro that is rough! I say we string up Santa, it had to be his elves? Who else would be out on Christmas eve? Or he had chimney embers on his suit?

    Seriously, that would be a horrible sight on any day! Looking into that insurance myself after seeing this.

Share This Page