1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christmas gift for a guitar teacher / instructor

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mogator, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this, but its related to instruction. My son has been taking guitar lessons since July, and I'm wondering if there's a general rule for how much to gift to a music teacher...ie something worth one lesson, or two lessons, etc. It would be a gas gift card, I figure everyone can use those (no public transit by us). I tried searching for such a thread and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'm always happy to get anything, I never expect a gift from my students so anything I do receive is a great gift. A gift card for a few bucks would be fantastic in my books. There is no minimum or maximum but I wouldn't stress it or get a large gift, odds are they enjoy what they're doing anyway. I know I wouldn't feel right receiving a large gift from one of my students (or their parents.)

zontar likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    They are getting paid for their services. If they are taking extra time for your son where you think they are going beyond the call of duty, so to speak, do what you do for his school teachers.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    As a former teacher I didn't expect gifts and so when I got them I was thankful.

I did get some that made me scratch my head--such as when I had a full beard and one student gave me aftershave.

Some of them were samples or freebies, but so what--it is the thought that counts.

Keep it simple--it can be practical or fun--a gift card is cool too.

I still have some--like a Strat shaped key chain I hang in the same area as most of my gear.

5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    A bottle of single malt Scotch is the gift that keeps giving.

6. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Thank you everyone. My gut tells me he could use the "money" more than stuff so a gas card it is... however... my son has a pick puncher and so I will look for some gift card blanks that will punch out nicely as guitar picks to dress up the gift card.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I coach soccer , I do it for free because I love it, it has been nice surprises the times when I have received gifts from my players, from cakes to gift cards, it is not about the cost but the gesture.

8. Bole909

Bole909

Oct 17, 2009
    Belgrade
    That is a good question. My suggestion would be to keep things simple and not overdo it in terms of item cost as it could make things a bit weird. Maybe a gift card or a video performing a "surprise song" or something would be cool. Small gifts like a custom made or engraved pick would be interesting too. A funny t-shirt would be a good idea too.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021