1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Christmas gift for wife.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DESTCPL, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DESTCPL

DESTCPL

Dec 14, 2013
    My wife has been wanting to learn Bass Guitar for the past year, she has been giving me hints all year long. I do not know anything about this stuff but I did some research and bought the following for her Christmas Present.

Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL
    Ampeg Heritage 8x10
    Fender Select Percision Bass

I just want some of you experts to let me know if I bought the correct gear and do you think she will be happy with it.

She never touched a Bass in her life, I just wanted to make sure she got good equipment to learn on.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You must have money to burn if that's what you consider a christmas present. She may as well never need any other gear for the rest of her career...

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Whelp, that's good equipment, for sure. Might be a _bit_ more than a beginner needs to get started on the instrument, though...

Seems like your budget was ample. So, two suggestions for additions:

1. A pro setup for the bass. (Off the rack or by mailorder, IME most basses need a bit of attention so they sound and play their best.)
    2. Lessons with a good teacher. (It's smart to start with good habits, regarding technique. That way, if she sticks with playing bass, she won't have to unlearn bad habits later, as she develops her skills.)

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I don't think she will need or want another bass rig ever, that rig is only going to get dissed around here by the physically challenged. that can't lift anything as mighty as a full Ampeg all tube rig.:bassist:

5. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    That's excellent equipment. The amp and speaker cab are pretty heavy, so I'd recommend a cool little practice amp like the Roland Micro Cube Bass RX, a good set of headphones and a year's worth of lessons. The lessons are the most important investment IMO.

6. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    :eek:

crawl->walk->run

You just bought a pair of size 11 running shoes for a newborn.

Dude, she doesn't need a big head, 8x10, and Fender Select. She needs a 10" combo amp, headphones, and a Squier VM.

7. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Would you care to adopt a 36 year old son?? I,ll teach "Mom" for free and can cook like you wouldn't believe!

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain

but seriously...

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A teacher, a small amp, a few dates together to hear live bass players, dinner, encouragement—sounds like fun.

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    This.

Seriously, that ^

Best option.

11. DESTCPL

DESTCPL

Dec 14, 2013
    How do I upload a couple pics of the equipment on this post? They are located on the local computer. I been trying to post them but I do not know how.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Me smells a troll :) but if not she will be very happy congrats.

13. Well that is a good place to start. When she becomes more proficient on the instrument she can buy something a little better.

:D

Edit: may I suggest a Gym membership with weight training. she'll have to muscle up to move that system.

Last but not least - you better get back to us on her reaction.

How you gonna fit that lot under the tree, not to mention poor old Santa!

14. DESTCPL

DESTCPL

Dec 14, 2013
    For sure not a troll. I have the equipment in my house...trying to keep it hidden (sorta hard).

15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Seriously, that amp is great, but only necessary if she is going to be playing gigs: big gigs. For a beginner, it's just going to be a ginormous PITA to have to move around. While your generosity is commendable, and your taste in gear impeccable, a small, lightweight combo amp would be much better suited to someone just starting out.

16. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    You need a photo hosting site. I use photobucket.com. Register, download, then copy the IMG code (starts with [URL...) and paste it in a reply.

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Many of us use a free site called photobucket.com. Set up a free account, and then simply drag and drop your photos to upload them.

Once you've done that, view the pic on Photobucket and you'll see a menu to the right that says "Links to share this photo". The one you want is "IMG". Click the link and it automatically copies, then paste the link into your post here on TB.

EDIT: Or you could just do what deeptubes said ;)

18. no, I don't think that any of this gear is appropriate for anybody playing bass at any level, hate to say it man, but you bought a bunch of garbage, just send it to me to properly dispose of it :bag:

seriously though, you've got to have either a lot of money, or not much brains, to be able to get that for somebody for christmas, 'cause that stuff isn't cheap

19. DESTCPL

DESTCPL

Dec 14, 2013
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. DESTCPL

DESTCPL

Dec 14, 2013
    Ok, I got the pictures to finally show up. I feel she is going to be super excited to get this for Christmas. I know it cost a lot, but I wanted to make sure that she has good equipment so she does not get mad that it does not work or sound correct. Anyone know a good Bass teacher in the Destin/Fort Walton Florida area (to teach at our house)? It was a good suggestion by the members to get her a teacher and I would love to do that for her.