Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christmas in July!! What Jazz style bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigkill, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Well, first of all, this is just early daydreaming I'm doing here. I'll have to wait 'til it's actually Christmas before making the purchase, but I thought it couldn't hurt to come up with an early wishlist. :D

OK then, that out of the way. What I'm after is a bass that can growl like a hound from the 7th level of heck and get dirtier than Jenna Jameson....not that I know who that is. :ninja: Anyway, your basic Super Jazz.

I'm shooting for around a grand. If I can actually get a little more than that though, I'm 99.99% certain I want a Valenti. From all the pics and positive comments on here, who would I be to argue?

If I get to go that route, here is what I was thinking up. For the body, I'd like to go Ash with a Natural finish, no pickguard, but keep the control plate. That would just be the ultimate in beauty for me. As for the neck, I was thinking birdseye maple with full two octave (not sure how well that would work with a J body though), birdseye maple board. I wish they made them clean without either dots or block inlays, but I can cope with the dots. As for the hardware, I'm not particular to any brand, and I'm sure whatever Nino would recommend would be beyond good enough. As for hardware color, I was thinking chrome or black.

If the Valenti works out, my only remaining question would be what pickups, pre, and string combo should I go for to get the ultimate dirt and growl capabilities?

I do have a lot of expenses coming up in the very near future though, so I might fall a little short of all my wishful custom thinking. I need a backup plan, so, should that happen, what other Jazz clones would you recommend in the $700-900 range?

I'm looking for a fretted four, but that's the only requirement. I'm fancy to natural finishes, and I'd like a two octave neck, but I can live without either. :bassist:

2. Make it 100% and get one!!

3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I have just been turned on to the Hammer J-bass at Milford Music(a year or so ago...) there Josh and Mike had a few that would make Jaco consider putting down his Fender(so ,so, sorry Leo :crying: )but all kidding aside,they made a hell'ava Jazz :bassist: .
    Right now they have a fret-less 5 string that nails it right where it needs to be nailed and all for the low,low price of ???? :bassist:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thank you. :)

No fretboard dots are not a problem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I feel that the 24 fret extension isn't very usable on a 4 string bass. I have a hard enough time reaching the 21st fret on their regular necks.

IMO, EMG J's, Aguilar OBP-1 & Stainless steel strings.

There are ALOT of decent basses out there in that price range. You could find a nice USA Fender Jazz. Also, the MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz (not available in Natural) sounds & feels very nice at a lower price point. If you prefered blocks & a black finiah, I'd HIGHLY recomend the Geddy Lee Jazz.