1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christmas present for my girldfriend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cybersurfer, Sep 25, 2008.

1. cybersurfer

cybersurfer

Sep 25, 2008
    Hello,

i'm first timer in this forum, i found it in google search for bass info.
    My girldfriend started playing learning bass 1-2 months agora. A friend of ours lend her a bass and amp. A cort Bass which doesn't sound that bad when connected through a DI to a PA, but when connected to her 6" cort amp... well, let's just say that what comes out is everything except sound.

for christmas i would like to give her a amp, i'm planning on spending about 300-500 € in her present. She likes a real deep bass sound, she doesn't need a lot of speaker power (50w-100w is more than enough) and if possible i would like it to have a valve pre-amp at least.

Can anyone give me some suggestions ?

thank you

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

3. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    actually there are a lot of amps availabe in that price range.

i suggest a roland cube with 100w - it is very loud and a lot of people like it. anonther classic in that pricerange would be the ampeg ba-115.

but if your girlfriend won't play in a band soon and she is not a DAU, i maybe would go with a fender B-DEC 30. it has a lot of features, which are helpful for practice.

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    check out the Fender Rumble 60

60 Watts
    Solid State (sorry, no valve pre-amp)
    1 12 inch Cone
    4 band EQ
    i picked mine up brand new for £160 (dunno what that is in euros in the current financial climate...)

It's a great piece of kit, and a good size!

5. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Ampeg BA112 pretty nice not to heavy and I found it loud

6. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Couple of questions. Does she expect to drag this amp to lessons? Or is it just for home use at this point. Some of these amps are way heavy for a girl. Also, being a newb, does she really know what a real deep bass sound is?

If she has to haul this thing around and she is not in a band, then go portable like a Roland Cube, the small Line 6 or an Eden Nemesis with a 12" or one with (2) 8" speakers.

On the other hand what your describing is a Mesa Walkabout. Portable (12" version), tube preamp, optional wheels, lots of power (300W), you can add an extension cab if she joins a band. Or you can pull the head out and use it drive a different cab.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/walkabout/WalkaboutScout/WalkScout.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-MPULSE-WALKABOUT-COMBO-BASS-GUITAR-AMP_W0QQitemZ120308668526QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120308668526&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can find these 2nd hand in your price range. And if you decide to buy new, resale value on these things is very good.

7. i would also recommend a 115 for the sound she would like, but seriously, if she wants something she will be able to carry around, perhaps a 1x12 would be better for her?

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I say buy a Ashdown Electric Blue 180 with 15" speaker.

9. Solace249

Solace249

Jun 11, 2008
    NC
    I've got the Ashdown Electric Blue, 115 with 180 watts, definitely deep bass sound, not too bad on the heavy side, and can keep up with an average loudness drummer, if she's joining a band can add another cab for 300 watts. The thing by itself has plenty of power and i love the input / output volume settings, can go gritty with little input lots of output or cleaner with lot of input little output, good luck!

10. cybersurfer

cybersurfer

Sep 25, 2008
    in the future she will start rehersing with a band(5-6 months maybe), so portability is a real issue.

How about the ampeg ba115t model? has anyone tried it out? is it any good?

11. Did you really just say that? Seriously? :rollno: Tell that to a "girl" boxer, MMA fighter, weight lifter, roller derby girl, or hockey player and I'm sure she would show you what heavy hands feel like. :mad:

12. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I would recomend getting the Acoustic B200 - at least check it out, it blows away most other amps in its range and they are a good deal $$

13. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    The women who play the sports that you mentioned are the exception not the rule. I don't think John123z was trying to be disrespectful, just courteous.

14. That may be the case, I'm just saying there are many many women who can handle the weight of heavy cabs, and there are many men who can't. I don't think that there is a "rule". Its either you can or you can't.

15. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Dude, I'm a 5'6" male and the Ashdown 1x15 and the Ampeg 1x15 are real knee busters. The Ashdown has one handle on top and is a major PIA getting up and down stairs. I meant no disrespect. My wife and daughter are 5'2" and can't even pick up one of these amps for more than a minute. And the Yorkville I tried was monster.

The Mesa is very portable and has a tilt back wheel option. I would sell most of my stuff for one of these things. I'm thinking of convenience, especially if she is planning to schlep this thing to band practice and lessons. If she needs more output, she can buy an extension cab and leave it at the rehearsal site.

16. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA

Well, maybe in the future everyone asking for amp recommendations should post their height, weight and their max squat and bench so people like me don't generalize.

John

17. i would definatly go with the mesa walkabout, especially if shes gonna play in a band soon, they sound damn good to

18. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Actually, I think cybersurfer has gotten some excellent advice
    for a rig.

Hey cybersurfer, if you fill out your profile a bit, like location,
    and gear (her gear :smug:), it will help members to direct you
    to gear sources and links that could be more helpful or appropriate for the future.