christmas rock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HAWKINS, Nov 26, 2003.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    any good christmas rock and roll that goes over well at gigs this time of year?.....or just the usual stuff?.....any new/different ideas?
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    We always try to do classic tune during the holidays. For Holloween we did Monster Mash. But we alway add a twist. Distortion, power chords, silly loud backup vocals. We call it KA CHUNKIN a song. Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, we just jam cool old school tunes like that and everyone loves it.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This will get more looks in Misc. Off it goes.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I noticed that Brian Setzer has a Christmas album out. It might be worth picking up to learn some tunes. I'd guess it's got some rockin' ones.

brad cook
  5. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    You can always do death metal covers of christmas tunes. A band at my school once did "Santa Claus is Coming to Kill You"

Many of the 7th graders went home crying.
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    "No presents for christmas" from King Diamond
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It don't have to be death metal. Just think of Jingle Bells beefed up with distortion and a little faster. "Dashing throught the snow, in a one horse open sleigh"'s really cool live.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This topic might get more hits in "Recordings" because that is where we talk about specific songs and recordings.

That said, some songs easily converted to a rock style (most have been done that way on one CD or another) include:

Little Saint Nick
    Happy Christams (War Is Over)
    Run Rudolf Run
    Jingle Bell Rock
    Blue Christmas
    Drummer boy
    I Saw Momma Kissin' Santa Claus
    Rockin' Around the Christams Tree
    Rock 'n Roll Christams
    Rudolf the Red- nosed reindeer
    Here Comes Santa Claus
    Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
    Frosty the Snowman
    Sleigh Ride
    Winter Wonderland

One fun idea would be to do a medley of some of your band's favorites in the list above or others you know and like.
  9. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Im kind of amazed that no one has said Merry Xmas Everyone by Slade. In all fairness Slade were a big British band, i don't know if they made it big over in the US but it's gotta be the best rock and roll Christmas single of all time.
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    About a million years ago Bing Crosby did a Christmas special in which some 'genius' thought it would be a good idea to spread some appeal to younger audiences by having Bing do a duet with someone more familiar to the young fans.

The producers picked a rock artist whose career was in the toilet at the time, talked him into doing the show, and brought him on...

And it went surprisingly well.:confused:

The coolest Christmas cover (if you have two singers with the harmony/counterpoint chops to do it) is Little Drummer Boy/ Peace on Earth by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.:eek: :cool: