Christmas show suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Looking for ideas for a lineup for a Christmas show in two months (duh).

My band is rock/oldies/blues/country pretty much, so any great suggestions for stuff that fits this mold?

So far I have:
    Merry Christmas Baby (elvis version)
    Please Come Home for Christmas (Eagles)
    Run Run Rudolph (Chuck Berry)
    Blue Christmas (elvis)

I hate "Jingle Bell Rock," but hey... it's about the customers, right?
  2. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer-?
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Will all your selections be secular or will there be some religious music too?

One source of ideas is to go to and look up the Time-Life Christmas albums. Click on them and read the names of the songs included on the CDs. That collection has just about every famous holiday song.

Keep your audience in mind and their age. Older folks might want a more serious selection. Younger folks would go for the lighter hearted selections.
  4. Joni Mitchell's - River

It has a nice jingle bells riff in it.
    Beautiful song.
    Very melancholy, but would certainly fit the christmas theme. So long as you have a voice like Joni's ;)
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Great song, but you'd better hide the razor blades if you play it.
  6. Any from the "Very Special Christmas" series.

One of my favourites from the first of these CD's - Christmas/Baby Please Come Home by U2 (even though I can't stand U2 most of the time!).

If you have (or can get) a female to sing it, Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt (also redone by Madonna) is always fun.

7. One of my bands included this song into our regular sets once or twice for shows near Xmas... It's a really goofy song, but never fails to get a laugh from the crowd.

Regarding the "Very Special Christmas" comps... If I remember correctly, Goo Goo Dolls w/ Lance Diamond have a song on one of them called "Do You Believe In Him?". Nobody would recognize it if you covered it, but it's a great song IMO.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    James Brown - Santa Goes Straight To The Ghetto

Or just about anything on the 'James Brown's Funky Christmas'-album ;)