Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christmas songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by _Casper411_, Dec 11, 2000.

1. _Casper411_

_Casper411_

Aug 21, 2000
    hey people, i wanted to know if anyone knew alot of Christmas songs or any place to get alot of Christmas songs. i really need the songs quick. so people hurry and tell me...................PLEASE!!!!

KASPER GHOST

2. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Tabs are readily available if you want those (bass tab archive or the tab archive here at talkbass)

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Good luck on your search. My band was talking about doing a couple of Christmas songs, and Carol of the Bells came up. George Winston has a piano version of this song on one of his tapes. I listened to it and picked out a pretty cool bassline for myself to play. I can just hear what the other instruments in our band could play too. I am pretty thrilled because this is the first song I've really picked apart by myself by ear. And it was so easy! Took about 2 hours total. I'm kind of depressed now, because I really wanted to do this song for a couple of X-mas gigs, but now that I know it, the rest of the band is mainly apathetic about their part in it. And they were all so complimentary when I first played it for them. I just don't understand. I'm starting to think that guys don't like it when I am the first to play or show them something. It's not the first time that I have been the first to learn a song (I have used some very accurate tab, beleive it or not), and most of them drug their heels on that too. I don't think it's the songs themselves. And I don't think I'm doing a crappy job playing. Oh well, I'll just have to play it for myself right now, I guess.

4. _Casper411_

_Casper411_

Aug 21, 2000
    SEE PEOPLE THERE ARE NICE BASSISTS OUT THERE.
    BUT WHAT I REALLY NEED IS TAB FOR LIKE CHURCH CHRISTMAS SONGS

SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING
    THATNKS TO THE TWO THAT REPLIED

5. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    Jennifer,
    I cannot believe that! I would like to see your tabs of Carol of the Bells!! I've been looking for something easy to play that's sorta christmassy.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There's a book called "Santa's Little Helper Christmas Songbook" and it's written in bass clef if you read standard notation. It's put out by Santorella Publications.

"God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen"
    "Birthday Of A King"
    "O Little Town Of Bethelhem"
    "Deck the Halls With Boughs Of Holly"
    "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"
    "Silent Night, Holy Night"

And others...

Phil

7. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Dot, I don't have it tabbed out. I just did it by ear. Maybe I will put it into tab for you, I've never tried to do that before, how much you willing to pay? ;) :D

8. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    how much will it cost ME to get ya to tab it out? :D

I'm willing to pay.........hmmmmm........3.87 gajillion samoan dollars.......or something.

:D

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    from memory, i taught myself silent night a few weeks ago...the end was a bit of a killer though.

i always wanted to do "No Presents for Christmas" by King Diamond. :D

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    My band is doing The Grinch theme. We just sorta figured it out. We're doing an instrumental version which sounds heavy....its cool.

11. Oh jeez. I *think* I have "Ode to Joy" figured out. (Is it even a Christmas song? Oh well)

Here it is, what I have figured out so far.

Key of C
    E E F G G F E D C C D E E D D

E E F G G F E D C C D E D C C

This all starts on the second fret of the D string, being E.

Corrections will be appreciated, this is pretty much my first try at it, and plus I did it from memory, so...

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Casper, Christmas music, both secular and non-secular is commonly available in sheet music books written for piano. If you read standard notation, you should be able to play songs from piano music. Also, go to one of those mall stores that sells pianos and organs to retirees. They sell "E-Z Read" sheet music books of Christmas music that have the name of the notes written on the notes, plus have the chord names above each bar. That is almost as easy as tab and you should be able to work out Christmas songs from those piano books very easily. They are ever so simple, so you may wish to embellish the music with fills and more complex bass and guitar lines.

Jason Oldsted

13. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Alright, it's a deal! :D Sorry it took so long for me to reply, Christmas stuff, you know? Actually, I'm on shutdown for work now till Jan 3rd, so I have a chance to get it done. I'm looking forward to it. I want to warn you though, there are so many versions of that song, and I am going strictly with my version of GW's version. It's fun to play along with the tape.

brewer9, that sounds like it'd be pretty cool. :)