1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christopher 5-string double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hensonbass, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Christopher 5-string double bass - Model # DB801F-5

I can't find any info on this model. Any thoughts?

2. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any info on that model. I am doing some research on the new replicas... not that much info out there yet.

However, if you want to try a 5 string relatively local, give me a shout. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582547

BG

3. A fellow in Memphis has one. It is a really nice looking bass (it looks just like one listed in the Atlanta Craigslist). But to my ear it sounds thin and weak. I don't think it sounds much better than the ply Christophers I've heard. The low B is almost inaudible. Of course, his might be the exception to the rule.

4. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought I would give a gig review of my Christopher hybrid 5-string model 304 DB 7/8 Busetto recently purchased from Heifetzbass. I am really impressed with this bass. Today was the first day I could really take it out and really play it.

I started with a duo jam with my friend on guitar and it sounded quite loud and punchy on the pizz. I definitely was getting as much volume as I get with my carved basses. I also tried out he Fishman Full-circle pickup and it sounded great with this bass. I plugged it in directly to the amp and found it to be very accurate with both pizz and bow. The neck shape is very beefy but comfortable. My left hand doesn't feel fatigued after playing for an hour straight.

Later that afternoon I pulled out my Bach cello suite music and started playing through some pieces arco with a high 'c' string. I'm going to enjoy learning how to incorporate that extra string with this music. The spirocore medium strings are a little bright for arco but I like the challenge. I have a flexicore high 'c' string BTW. Hopefully the strings will continue to mellow.

And tonight I brought the bass to a very loud blues jam session to see if I could make the bass work for me in an acoustically hostile environment. I was up against two loud blues guitar players with big tube amps and a loud drummer to boot. The house amp I used was an SWR combo amp with a single 15" speaker. I plugged in to the amp and had the eq set flat and just turned up the volume. To my surprise I heard myself with no problems. All the notes cut through with NO FEEDBACK! I couldn't believe how well it cut through the mix of jam session hell. The bass definitely has a nice throatiness and growl when coming through an amp. The sound made me play better immediately.

I think I got a cherry bass on my hands!

5. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Sounds like a good setup. IMO the weichs are easier than mittels if you want to get into some serious arco work, like the cello suites. I cant comment on the flexocore high C but a pirastro flat chromstreel blends nicely with the spiros too. They all mellow out in time. Ive also tried a spiro high C and the chromsteel was my choice.

How does the flexocore sound under the bow?

Im wondering if I should give a full 5 string set of evah pirazzis a go...... must not give into string buying temptation :rolleyes: :bag:

6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hey Rob-

Glad it's working for you! I knew this bass was too good to just be sitting on my rack!

Glad to hear she's holding up.

Later,
    BG

7. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I pull pretty hard so I'm wondering if the weichs would bother me.

The flexocore 'c' sounds really nice to my ear and blends very smooth with the spiro 'g'.

If I was going to bow all the time I might go with the E. Pirazzis. When I tried out the bass at Brian's place he had a EP 'A' on there and it sounded really nice. I just want a more aggressive sound because this bass is going to be amplified 90% of the time.

BTW: Thanks for a great bass Brian!

8. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have to get a pic in here...I'm on the road now for 3 weeks and can't see my baby.:(

Attached Files: