Christopher 7/8 hybrid v Mathias Thoma 7/8 MT-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 2shute, Aug 22, 2005.

1. 2shute

Aug 22, 2005
    Sarepta, Louisiana
    Other than the obvious hybrid vs solid carved, what significant differences are there between these two models? Primary use would be for folk/bluegrass/gospel. I believe the price would be within $250 for either of the basses--both are new and supposedly set up. Or am I all wet and should I be looking in another galaxy altogether?
    Thanks for the advice to an obvious beginner.
  2. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All the Thoma MT-1 basses that I saw online have flat backs. Personally I do not trust inexpensive new flat back basses.

Just one thought... I wish I could offer more.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I have heard negative things about the build quality of the MTs.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played a 3/4 carved MT-1 and thought my Upton laminate sounded a lot better. Can't speak on the Chrissy, but the Thoma was not good.
  5. The weight of a Flatback is also a consideration along w. the seasonal adjustments and regular visits to the bass doctor.
  6. 2shute

Aug 22, 2005
    Sarepta, Louisiana
    Thanks for the advice. Seems there's a consensus, so I think I'll look for a Christopher. I'm in northwest Louisiana. Where might I be able to check one out in the flesh?
    Thanks for all your help.
  7. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Personally I like the MT-1. I've sold many of them, they all sounded great, and I've never had one come back with back problems.
  8. Fritz1

Jun 10, 2007
    I've had a MT-1 for 13 years and it plays and sounds great! I've used it for Jazz & Blues gigs, so it has gone out alot. It travels well. The deep tones of it make is sound much older than it is. It bows well and amplified (K&K) it sounds great too! Beat the daylights out my '51 Kay in playability and tone. Really, no comparison. I couldn't believe I had held on to that plywood POS for 27 years before getting the MT-1. Very, very satisfied with it.
  9. Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Hey, @Fritz1 this is a zombie thread - 3913 days old, in fact.

I've can't recall having seen a 7/8 bass in all the bluegrass ever. Every once-in-a-while there's a fractional floating around, but never seen a big girl. In contrast, they're sprinkled throughout the local symphonic community. I don't think I would buy a 7/8 at all. I'm also nervous about new basses, and quite especially carved ones, and double-especially wierd new ones. For me, the best benefit of the giant bodied basses is arco tone in the lower register. I can't see the benefit for roots/folk genres - we never play arco and pizz tone in the lower register is secondary, even to me. The audience has never cared; standard Kay bass isn't known for great tone.

IMO, the OP should have ditched the giant body and apply the additional dollars to a better quality 3/4. A quick google search seems to indicate that these are in the $2-3k range - that could get a fairly nice used laminate or a not-bad hybrid in my market and could cover a new Upton or Estele or Shen, all of which have legions of fans on and off TB. 3/4 has been a standard for 200 years for a fairly good reason - bigger ain't necessarily better.