Christopher Basses good or bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Contra_Monkey, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Contra_Monkey

Jan 17, 2006
    New Zealand
    (all the stuff on christopher basses seems to only be on the hybrid used for blue grass and jazz)
    Hey All!
    I’m 16 and I’ve now been playing double bass for about four years. I play in a couple of local orchestras and do some solo work (only high school assessments and the like though lol) I am thinking of maybe going to university and studying music. So I’ve decided to buy my own bass. I found this bass “Christopher 500 Series “Performance” ¾ Carved solid wood Violin shape for $6995.00 ( in New Zealand dollars, it works out to about the same in USA currency when you include P&H) . So I was wondering if anyone could tell me about there experiences with this make of bass, good, bad or just plain ugly lol, (I haven’t tried it myself yet but I will soon) this is a picture of it. Thanks heaps for any advice u can give....

Attached Files:

2. They're absolutely wonderful.

I have Christopher Bussetto made in 2003. It's a 500 series, but I want to say that the model number is more specifically the 504T. I could be wrong about the "T."

It's unbelieveable how many comments I get for the sound of my instrument. My teacher raves about it frequently at my lessons, and even after my audition at Northwestern with DaXun Zhang, he told me he liked it's sound. In fact, he asked me if it was a Pollman.

Hmmm.... seeing the price tag you're getting for that, I'm considering getting my bass re-appraised. Right now, it's insured as a $5,000 instrument, but seeing all of the compliments I've been getting and the prices other people are charging for these, I think it'd be wise to get another opinion.

Sorry for my personal reflection. Definitely give this bass a spin and tell me what you think.
  3. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    I've got a fully carved 2002 602T (same as the "500" series but with some cosmetic differences)that I am really enjoying. Week by week it's opening up (thanks to nice, long, slow arco practice) more and more. Mine is not as "shiny" as the pic you have posted, it's a flat antique finish. I'm not sure about the '500' series, does it have a thinner neck? My neck is thinner (width-wise)than my old '99 Schroetter hybrid. Took a little getting used to but much better now. Soundwise, I don't see why this wouldn't be a good orchestral bass, the sound projects well and blends great with brass, woodwind and strings, or so I've been told by people I've played with. I've not played a Shen but would venture to say that this bass will compare favorably with it. Enjoy your's a nice one AND you'll be able to keep it for a long time before thinking of upgrading. Keep us posted on your progress.
  4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you can get a lot of bass for 7k in some circles. I had a student that had a busetto with the carved top and plywood back and maybe sides, it was nice.
  5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Remember, he's talking $7K Aussie... Works out to about $5K US, which is still a touch on the higher side for the 500-Series.
  6. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Contraire, He says New Zealand Dollars, and it works out to be the same after shipping. Does anyone else think that's a lot of bread not to be getting a Jusek or Similar Czech bass? Maybe I am getting old and missed the rampant inflation.
  7. Hi Contra_Monkey.

I have a 4 month old Christopher 401 flatback that you are welcome to try out if you are ever in or around Wellington.
    I am happy with it.
    It is strung with Velvet Animas at the moment.

PM me if you are keen.

Daniel Y.