Christopher Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 61pollmann, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I've heard basically good things about the Christophers. I'm considering getting a series 300 (hybrid) as a second bass. I'm hoping to get some feedback from any owners of this model out there. Any other advice regarding an instrument in this price range(2K) would also be appreciated. I play straight-ahead jazz, unamplified as a duo or trio, and amplified with a quartet and quintet. I'm currently using an Acoustic Image head and Bergantino 112s. I string amy Pollmann with Obligatos, however I am thinking of trying Animas.

Thanks in advance,

2. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Look in the newbie links and do a search for Christopher. That should get you started with a lot of useful information. I'm sure that what you'll find is that most Christopher owners (myself included) have good things to say about those basses. However, you have many choices so do your research; this is a great place to get all sorts of useful information from knowledgable people.

Good luck and welcome...

3. If you look at the Newbie threads, you'll find tons of testimonials and information on Christopher basses.

I own a Christopher 300, and as I've said here before, its a lot of bass for the $$. I have a 7/8, and I often play unamplified in duo or trio settings. Might be the plywood back, but it really seems to project well into the room. It also sounds great amplified through my Full Circle and AI Contra combo.

The only drawbacks are the glossy spray poly finish (though I understand they offer matte now) and the two-piece neck (which not all Chrissie have). I've had good luck with my neck, though. The joint is well crafted, with no signs or warping or seperation after 3 years.

Also, it'll probably need a pro setup; consider a new bridge and soundpost right off the bat.
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    FWIW, I still have the same bridge and SP and my bass sounds great! I just did the tail gut thing, changed to MPM TP, and found the right strings for it.