1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Christopher basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bfitz, May 8, 2006.

1. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    I have been looking around at different basses and stumbled on these basses. I did a search on here a while back and if I remember right they were said to be comparable to Shen basses. I was just wondering if anyone owns one of there basses and how they like it. Also, what is the price range on there basses and does anyone know if there is a dealer in northern Ohio that has them? I am looking at the 300 series hybrid or the 400 series carved busetto shape. I tried to put a picture up of one of the models but I’m not sure how to do that so I hope this works. The one on here is the laminate model. DB304.

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have a Christopher 304 busetto hybrid and I like it quite a bit. I bought it new a little over two years ago from a local luthier and I have not had a moment's trouble. It sounds and plays great for its price range.

In retrospect I wish I had forked out the extra $450 or so and gotten the 400 series carved since I love DB so much.

Play everything you can get your hands on and trust your ears and a reputable luthier, and you can't go wrong.

Good luck . . .

3. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    I have had both a laminate and hybrid chrissy. I started by renting the laminate, and then purchased the hybrid-(thanks to the luthiers policy of allowing 100% of rental to go towards a purchase) I have to say that to both my, and my wifes, ears that there was a very noticable difference between the sounds of the two. The hybrid was MUCH more complex, and less tubby than the ply, and that's despite the ply having very warm strings(obligatos) and the hybrid having brand new hybrid strings.

Lately I've been aching to upgrade again to a fully carved-got bad GAS I guess. So this past saturday I went a auditioned a shen willow 3/4, which according to the members here, is a great bass and I can't argue. Now I have to say that I only played piz, b/c I didnt have my bow with me, but I actually think my hybrid chrissy sounded either better, or at least as good. Of course strings could have made a world of difference. And like I said I didn't have my bow with me. However I did walk away thinking that I was fine with what I have for the time being.

Dont know any dealers in Ohio, but I think the price range for these is 2.5k-3.5k.

Don't know if any of this helps, but these have been my experiences.

flint

4. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    Thanks guys. I’ve been looking in that price range for a new bass. I’ve also been looking at bob Gollihur's basses as an option. I would really like to get a bass that will be good enough to last for many years without me wanting to upgrade. I’m going to college for music ed. and I don't plan on every really auditioning for any orchestras or anything so I don't need a monster bass, just something that sounds good and is nice to play. When I get closer to having the money I am going to do more searching around Ohio and play everything I can get my hands on, but for now it still just kind of a dream. Thanks again for you opinions on these basses.

5. You might want to contact Brent at Norton Customs
    www.nortoncustoms.com. He's in the Detroit area and has Christophers.

6. banjo-tom

banjo-tom

Mar 9, 2006
    Toronto
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Go to Brent Norton.
    His 200 series laminate (my bass :smug: )has great tone and playability.
    His 300 series hybrid will bring tears of joy ;)
    He is as close as you will find AND it will be setup properly.
    Norton Customs is your best choice.
    MHO

BT

7. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    +1 I got my Chris 200 from Brent Norton as well, I would highly recommend contacting him

8. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I've got a Chrissy 600 series, fully carved. With a little work (new bridge, fingerboard planing, etc.), I'm enjoying it ALOT. The sound has really opened in the year or so I've had it and I'm thinking it's only going to improve with age. Players who hear it have always commented favorably on its sound. I'll be keeping this for many years to come. IMO your choice would be a good one if you bought the 400 series, but like many here have said, play as many different basses as you can.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    same thing with my shen willow 3/4 (SB200)...once i got the setup where i like it i am really happy with it. i was playing some arco stuff (long tone scales for practice) the other day i am extremely happy with the way it sounds...
    i don't think you will go wrong with any of the chinese basses that have a general opinion of high quality from the members here.

10. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    I have also been looking into the Christophers, but I cant seem to find out it they have D necks, or E flats? This is my first post, wow.

11. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Mine is a D; don't know about the others.

12. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    thank you muchly. good to know.

13. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    My model 304 is also a 'D' neck.

14. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    maybe I'm measuring wrong, but I think mine has an Eb.

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Mine is a D neck - a 400 series. You can hear it in the recording thread here at TBDB...

16. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Mr Pacman, I seem to be having trouble finding this recording, and I really want to check it out. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
  18. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Wow, sounds great. I only had a chance to check out the Bach ditty, which turned out to be perfect, killer intro. Nice sound sound, growly, lots of sustain. Vince Mendoza came to my school and did latin jazz versions of Bach tunes with the faculty, Bach is the man. Thanks for the link. Nice Bass!

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks - I'd like to think you picked the perfect tune! I was really pleased at how that came out. That's the sound of my bass, the producer really didn't do anything to my sound. As far as I'm concerned, the Chrissies are the stuff!