Christopher carved busetto 5

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 23, 2004.

1. I am a 16 year old high school student and I am at the point of deciding my career. I want to be a bass player. Hopefully orchestral (jazz side gigs would be nice.) The point is i need a bass. I am lucky enough to have parents who will help me greatly and right now i have landed my sights on Christophers master series 7/8 busetto 5.

I haven't found any information on the high end christophers.Any opinions? Are the christopher 5's too flat or do they curve too much etc.,.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have no knowledge of that particular bass. There was a fairly interesting thread not too long ago

concerning 5-string basses in general. I think the consensus was that it is pretty difficult to construct a five string DB with consistent tone on the whole neck.

The interest in the subject went so far as to even suggest dissecting the apparently stunning 5er owned by TB's own Mr. Warburton. I don't think he was quite ready to donate his family to science.

I do know that we have at least one TBer, Pacman, with a fully-carved Christopher four string who is most impressed with it. I have played a Chrissy hybrid recently and thought it was a very nice bass.

That being said, you'd have to play the bass in question and judge for yourself. You never really know until then.

Why the interest in a five string?
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    One of my students owns one of the 5ers that Bob G. sells. Overall the tone is good on EADG but the B string, well, it is not the equal of the others.

Plus the fingerboard feels like the runway on an aircraft carrier it is so wide !
  4. I like the five stringers because A) they are kool
    B) Range-dont like extentions
    would get a four if it sounds better though.
    (and eventually get an extension)
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think it is almost a sure bet that if the budget is $X.00. $X.00 will buy a better sounding, better quality four string than a five. You may find a pearl, but the odds are against you.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Plus, when you're in college, instead of buying that new fifth string every time you replace them, you can buy food instead.
  7. ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    if half the reason you want a five string is because its "cool" than you may be making a bad decision. if you want to be a pro musician, you will be spending hours every day with your bass. are you ready to deal with a less than perfect sounding instrument because it has a "cool" fifth string? you won't really need an extension in college anyway.
  8. Good point...and by the way, welcome to TBDB ackeim!
    Every time fivers are brought up on TB I gotta jump in. When I bought my Bohmann fiver, I did so because of it's inherent great sound, eveness and playability. It is cool...BUT the low B is just an added plus. I wasn't shopping for a fiver!