Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christopher Hybrid

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Zach Edmands, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm thinking of buying a Christopher hybrid DB. It is professionally set up, sounds great, and costs $3500. Do you guys think that this is a fair price? Thanks.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No, I don't.

I bought a Christopher fully carved for 2 grand. a deal, to be sure, but the hybrids should be running you around $1800.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I have not sold any Christopher's but I have all the dealer and pricing info. If you add in shipping, a professional set-up and strings, and provide a reasonable profit margin, $1800 equates to selling at a significant loss. Luthiers or dealers who sell at a loss will not be around for long.

4. I'm not disputing what you paid, or what you got, but my understanding is that Gage and others are selling fully set up Christopher plywoods for $2,000.
    Ed F Quark, former Redneck, is a Gage client and maybe can shed some light.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My student who bought the fully carved Christopher flatback in Atlanta paid $3200 for the bass, which included set-up, Realist P/U, and bag (although the bag is cheesy). Contact me if you want more details about who he got it from.

6. My hybrid 7/8 Christopher came to about $1800 with the setup, which included planing the fingerboard, replacing the tailpiece wire and putting on a new set of strings (which I provided). I bought it through a reputable dealer in the Chicago area.

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That's pretty cheap. Maybe your dealer got a special price on that instrument? Most dealers around here sell the set-up plywoods for around $1800. Schools buying volume might get $1500.

8. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    Well, I guess I"m not buying it then. The guy who is selling it is Ron Sachs, has anyone ever heard of him?

9. Yeah, I think I got an exceptional deal on mine. I knew a guy who knew a guy....

But the place was still quoting 20% off list. I think you can obtain a retail price list from Christopher at concordgroup.com.

10. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Though I'm not overly familiar with the Christopher line, I do know Ron Sachs, and I can safely assure you that he is both very qualified to do an excellent set-up, and a fair person. $3500 for a new hybrid sounds right market-wise, especially if it includes extra goodies like a bag, etc...

11. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Well, if you look I am sure you can get a fully carved bass for about $3000, new or used, I have actually seen some old basses for about that price. $3000 is quite of bit money if you end up not satisfied, or if later on you see something else at a better price. I'd shop for a while, talk to as many people I could, and then make a decision. good luck.

12. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    Well the thing is, this guy a has a 100% trade policy, meaning that if I want to give the bass back to him i will get all of my money back. So theres not really much risk involved. I just don't want to get really ripped off.

13. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
  14. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    thanks to info from this forum, i bought a hybrid Christopher a year ago set up in SF area (String Bass Shop), for 2 grand.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Did you ever post a review? If not, now would be a good time. I've been wondering how they are, and if there are different levels/gradations in the hybrid line. I'm guessing that ZACH OF THE EDMUNDS FITZGERALD wouldn't mind hearing about how your bass is holding up and performing either.

Hey Zach, what's happening with the great bass search? As I said in my last PM, I've only heard good things about Ronald Sachs. Have you had a chance to check out his story on the price yet? Do tell...

16. You be the judge. They run $2125 to $2195 with a full setup at Luscombe Violin(http://www.violins.ca/basses.html)

Shipping is $200 to anywhere the continental U.S.

What their website says about setup is:

This includes bag, strings, adjustable bridge, and soundpost.

It is playable as-is, but lacks the important refinements that we perform.

You may then have the bass set-up at the local shop of your choice, or you may do the set-up work yourself (experience required).

17. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    Yes I have. Infact, his $3500 hybrid is the one I am talking about.

How come he sold your student a a carved basss for less? I can't figure that out.

//update. I just called Ronald Sachs and asked him about this and he denies ever selling a 'FULLY CARVED" bass at that price, but he mentioned something about the back not being fully carved or something to that extant. Wouldn't this classify the bass as a hybrid?

Well anyway, he also said the price has now been reduced to $3150, and he also has a fully carved for $3600.

Any more comments on the price or any other info?

Thanks a lot for the help.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Did you get my last PM? The one Rob bought had a largish blemish on the top, right by where your right hand would go when playing pizz. Maybe that had something to do with it? If you want to ask Ron, PM me and I'll resend my student's full name so you can ask him directly.

19. Zach Edmands

Zach Edmands

Jan 24, 2003
    I don't check my PMs enough I guess. I got it, I just didn't see it.

20. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    What Model of Christopher?
    Take a look in the F-hole and see.

300, 400?
    My 401 cost $2800 a year ago Feb.

Joe