1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Christopher Small Rainbow Scroll Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Mertle72, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Throwing this out there if there's any interest.....
    32" Scale Rainbow Scroll Fretless Bass- Claypool Tribute - "The Promise"
    Truly a one of a kind build by the infamous Christopher Small, definitely a professional grade instrument.
    Here are some of the facts:

Hipshot US ultra-light tuners
    Kahler hard tail bridge - countersunk / string thru
    Emg 35CSX and BTC
    Body/neck/FB woods: Black walnut, hard maple, ebony, purple heart- laid out like Les' CT
    Danish oil finish
    Fingerboard has a relatively flat compound radius with plenty of meat left if you would want to adjust to your liking. (I personally wouldn't change a thing about it, it plays very effortlessly and sounds wonderful)
    Extremely low and even action
    No nicks, dings or scratches, only minor play wear.

Serious inquiries, questions, concerns, please PM me so we can discuss the details. No trades at this time.

upload_2019-12-17_16-12-27.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    More details:

Attached Files:

fretno likes this.
  3. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Considering offers for anyone interested.
    Thanks!!!!!!

fretno likes this.
  4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Stunning ! Christopher is such a cool cat but hard to get a hold of these days . I know he hurt his hand a few years ago and builds were on hold . He is a super talented builder . A few of his tributes are on the CT page . CT is super cool about tributes and posts them on his site . Here is my CS CT clone :) GLWTS

[​IMG]

sludgetail and Mertle72 like this.
  5. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks! I remember reading your NBD post on that one! Yes, his builds are definitely jems. I hope he’s doing well, definitely a cool cat with a ton of talent. I’ll probably just hang onto this one, honestly I’d be a fool to sell it as it’s practically irreplaceable. I just haven’t been playing it much so I figured I’d throw it out there if there was any interest. Good to see you’re still enjoying yours!!!!!

fretno likes this.
  6. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Do you have flats or rounds on the strings?

7. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Rounds are the only way to fly boss! True Claypool slap — 90000000 lb piano funk!

sludgetail likes this.
  8. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Hard ebony fretboard so no worries.

sludgetail likes this.
  9. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    *fingerboard....lol

sludgetail likes this.
  10. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Unless you need the money, I'd keep it. That is a beauty and you'll definitely regret it as soon as you ship it. I had one build loosely based off of Carl Thompson basses by Shawn May. I'd be heart broken if I got rid of it.

sludgetail and Mertle72 like this.
  11. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    ^^^^^^Absolutely correct!!!!!!!!! you talked me into it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just trying to replenish money spent. I've bought two basses in the past 6 months and got to feeling a little guilty. This one is a keeper!!!!!!

sludgetail, fretno and Knavery like this.
  12. sludgetail

sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    I get this feeling from time to time brother... actually, every time I overspend on too many basses. But like someone on here said some time back, a bass in the closet isn’t a waste. This is a fretless, it’s a piece of art, custom built and when you need it, you’ll break it out...

If you recall I hit you up about this bass and the luthier some long time back (at least I think it was you?), I know I’ve seen it before... and I think it was what made me sign up for TalkBass in the first place... just wanted to say I’m glad you kept her and that feeling definitely passes — more basses are sadly often the cure lol.

Take care brother and enjoy your basses and the money comes and goes. It’ll always be there up for grabs, unlike this bass.

Mertle72 likes this.
  13. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Exactly!!! I even told my son that he had permission to kick me square in the junk if I ever sold this bass!!!!! Even though it dosent get as much play time as the others , every time I do pick it up I’m amazed at how well it plays and sounds. And I’m reminded once again that it would be very hard to replace it.
    Take care and great to hear from you again!

sludgetail likes this.
  14. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    1d14347d-eac9-4cc4-ae64-6315b9e6943d-jpeg[1].jpg d1fd8349-a0a7-4fdb-8e22-daa1899d0aff-jpeg[1].jpg Counter-sunk the strap locks to clean it up a bit.

fretno likes this.
  15. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri

Attached Files:

fretno and etherealme like this.
  16. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    TerenceE likes this.
  17. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    That is sick!!!! GLWTS!!!
    Id keep it if you can!

Mertle72 likes this.
  18. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    so want

Mertle72 likes this.
  19. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    It could be yours! Just let me know....

20. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks man , it's a beauty no doubt about it !