Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christopher Stock Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rabb, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Does anyone know what kind (brand) of strings come stock on Christopher basses and where I might be able to acquire some?

2. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I think they are Helicore's. It may also depend on the model.

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
  4. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thank you all for the quick responses (posts/links). I'll check it out...

5. I asked that same question sometime last fall. A Christopher dealer here on TB was kind enough to send me a set he had taken off a brand new instrument. I don't know what they are. I'm slapping a lot these days, so I'm still using the age old Golden Spirals and have a set of Animas in the wings. I'll get to these eventually.

Wondering though, why do you ask?

6. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    To answer your question, I like them. I want to stick with what works. I wonder why they are so hard to come by. My string wrap colors are all Red above the nut and E=Green, A=Blue, D=Black, G=Gold or Orange on the tail. Is this what yours look like?

7. That's them alright! I wonder if anyone can tell us what they are.

8. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I think I found out what they are. I'll know when I actually see them (have some on order). After describing them, I was informed by the Concord International Group that they are Christopher Strings Item# STR300.

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    On My 5-string (two years ago) they were Helicores

10. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The ones I just received are in a plain plastic bag, no label. I don't think Helicores come this way. They are identical to the original ones on my bass as shipped from the factory. I'll be signing-off for now... That's all folks.

11. Rabb, as you can see on kwd's link, I like the Chrissy strings too. They are pretty brite (IMO).
    Brent Norton hipped me to trying a Thomastik Orchestra E string for xtra body and sustain...(try a Thomastik Stark E if you really wanna get crazed) Anyway, IMHO, this set-up on a not too brite sounding bass is close to being a livable combination, if you're looking for strings that come across good in a pizz/arco situation. In other words, if I had, say, a recording session that required an equal amount of bowing and plucking, i'd give this a shot...rather than using two basses.
    A good friend (who shall remain nameless, lest he get a swarm of requests from people for more) on this forum sent me a couple used sets that i've tried on several different genre of basses, new/old, and I think the fact that they were on another bass at one time helped mellow them down in terms of briteness..
    By the way Rabb, how about filling in more of your profile. Especially where you're located...it helps us help you if you need a luthier or whatever. Thanks man.

12. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    They could be Pyramid strings. A few years ago I tried a bass that had strings like these described and I found out they were made by Pyramid.