Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christopher?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by CQBASS, Jan 9, 2005.

1. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Could someone give me their thoughts on Christopher basses. I know they're cheap, but are they worth bothering with. I'm on a severe budget but need a usable bass for some upcoming tours. Thanks in advance.

2. teachbass

teachbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Hi,

Check under the newbie links above your listing.
    Lots of good info there.

Hope this helps.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am playing a Christopher Hybrid right now. It is an excellent bass for the money. Good construction, and a really good tone. All they really need is a decent setup. Check them out.

4. I have owned two Christopher Basses and thought both of them were a good value for the money. In fact, I prefer using my plywood Christopher instead of my carved bass on several of my gigs. I previously owned a plywood Engelhart and find the Christopher to be a better bass. Also, who you are buying from makes a difference. If all things are equal, a good set-up makes or breaks the sound of your new bass.

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    A perfectly acceptable name in basses. Own one and hold your head high. I have a hybrid that's way too shiny but sounds just fine, plays well (maybe better than average in the higher end of the range; so say better players than I) and is set-upable. What's not to like? I'm playing my butt off on this thing.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have a hybrid Christopher as well and agree with the posts above. I will add that if your price range is somewhere around $1,800 to $2,800 then the Christophers are well worth checking out.

Also, like everyone around here, I would advise playing as many basses as you can get your hands on before parting with your cash. Your ears and physique are your own.

Good luck and welcome aboard . . .

7. I'll throw in my endorsement (for what it's worth). I've had my Christopher 7/8 hybrid for almost three years without any trouble, and I always get compliments on my sound, with or without the amp.

As the wise posters before me have said, be prepared to spend extra on a good setup. My luthier said that the fingerboard didn't need much work at all. He did a little bit of work on the nut, and replaced the endpin wire with cable.

All this said, I'm jonesing big time for a New Standard hybrid, so I might be saying bye bye to my Chrissie in the near future.

8. Ditto on all the above (especially the shiny part - though I believe you can now get a more subdued finish). I've been told mine can be seen from outer space.

Had my 3/4 hybrid about a year, well set up from Canadian dealer, Velvet Compass 360's, K&K Bass Max & equalizer...

It just sounds better every day, NO problems, and brings compliments on sound and appearance wherever we go....

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Can't go wrong with a Chrissie but in my opinion[and Nnick Lloyd's] the Shens are quite a bit better for the same money. Mainly cuz a real bass player[Paul Stralau] has his thumbprint all over the design.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I never played the Chrissie but I bought a high-end Shen 3/4 when I started back playing. After I got my Batchelder I still ordered a second 7/8 orchestra 800 model. Now I have several other fine old Basses including two beautiful Pedigrees and I just ordered a Third Shen, a 5er to have for those special concerts where my Italian or English 4 won't do or even my German with a 'C' ext... So I like what they make.. Great tone for a new Bass and a fantastic value as well..

11. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Thanks for all the info. I played a Kay for years until it got stolen out of the bus on tour. ever since that happened I've just been playing alot electric. It's so much easier on tour but I miss DB so much I can't fight it anymore. I tour alot, so I really need a workhorse that's going to hold up on the road, but that's also why I don't want to spend too much. Tour just beats up basses. Does anyone have any input about these Munich basses? I'm assuming they're chinese or maybe Korean. I know I can get a carved top for $1500. (plus they're not shiny) :) But I don't know how long they've been around. Any help's always appreciated. I read all the "craptastic" and newbie DB posts but it's grat to hear from people who've travelled with these basses or had them for a long time.

12. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    One more thing. About ordering the Christopher white: Is there a noticable difference in tone and/durability between laquer and an oil finish? I'm a huge fan of natural woods, my electrics are all just oiled. It just feels (and looks) better to me.

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    White? Most of us would probably try to shed our tone-robbing lacquer finishes if we had the option and go for a natural finish. You probably won't find a white one unless you order through our own Brent Norton or someone else like that.

14. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    He meant unvarnished as I was saying in my post. First of all this was a special order. I won't have the bass until september. There aren't any oil varnished Christophers around, so you can't judge it. You can order them in satin finish now though, which as I understand it is a considerable improvement.

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Huh? I didn't see anything about unvarnished reading from the above. Anyhow, set it up "white" and play it and let us know if there's a difference. :)

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "In the white" means shipped unfinished.
    -Probably what was intended above.

LM

17. The Munich is a Korean bass sold by many different sources and names, but it comes from the Linear line of string instruments out of Korean.
    Heres my read...and I've worked on many...
    They sound pretty good ,but cheapo tuners,you can get a carved for the same price as a Chistopher or Shen plywood,but I've seen a few bass bars come unglued,but my Main Pet Peve w. this line of basses is the inconsistant neck demention that yeilds a C# neck !!!
    I have told alot of clients to beware of the attractive pricing of these basses because you will have intonation hell as long as you play one of these instruments. ""D" necks are by far the most common neck out there and you will be screwed if you buy and play one of these basses.

18. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Yeah, I was implying "unfinished". Thanks for the opinion on the Munich. Now that I know Christophers come with a brown satin that probably the way to go for me.

19. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ... unless the guy you're buying from has some moderately old stock. My Chris is about a year and a half old and it's one of the mirror-finish babies.

Aside from it just being sort of icky on principle, and aside from the stiff straightjacket in which it dresses the bass, one of the big things I dislike about the finish is how it looks on stage under lights. The slightest smudge and fingerprint shows up big time. I'll bet there might even be the odd light flare drilling into the retinas of audience members...

It's way too shiny.

20. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I started to degloss my Christopher with 1500 grit sand paper(you can buy it at most auto parts stores). It is quite a bit of work and I am not sure if I am going to go through with the entire bass...right now it is just the neck heel. It looks pretty good, but it takes a long time.