Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Christos...........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Mar 25, 2001.

1. christos, i just noticed something odd about my amp, the buster bass 200 1x15 combo. i was looking at the tubes and there seemed to be like a screw sticking up with the head showing so you can turn it in or out, its right next to the output transformer. it sticks up @1". i was so curious i pulled the head from the cab, and there it was, the other end of the screw, attatched to nothing, weird. i might remove it. it is in no way connected mechanically nor electrically. i just checked my 2x10 buster wedge and no such thing exists on it,.......could it be possible you have one in your chassis also?.....gotta go.let me know. thanks, jim ps i can e mail you some pics...

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    (whispering) Psst, hey, private messaging! ;)

3. no sa! ....i know he has one of these....anyone else know?

4. I wondered the same thing with mine. I took the amp section out of the cabinet, and it seemed to have a piece of shielding on the end of it. I thought it may serve as some sort of ground. Whatever the purpose, I'm pretty sure it should be screwed in as far as possible without actually going into the wood.

5. i looked at the top of the cab on the foil and there was no mark on top from even touching it. i thought the same thing,.... anyhow, the surgery went very well, the 4" screw has been removed and all is, seems, well, should be outa icu soon. for some reason, while operating, also my output trany seems tilted, like on a wharped chassis, but no biggie, nothing affected. do you guys that are running mb 427gc, outputs, do you find them noisy in regard to .....tube rattles....?...

6. I have one tube that rattles a lot, especially at certain frequencies. Doesn't seem to affect the sound. Hopefully this will end when I put some Svetlana's in there.

7. any 427s ive had rattled, i think they suck. although they dont sound that bad. i got a new set of svet 454s for my 400+ for back up. actually 3 sets , 6 tubes total, i also got a set of jan nos 12ax7wa preamps for the 400+. i put them in and noticed no sputter, or fart when turning on from standby in the buster, havent tried them in the 400+. ive got a slight occasional light whistle, along with a tube rattle or two. i hate noise,. brand new amp! .....i suspect the output tubes, maybe ill retubeit but it pisses me off to retube it within 2 weeks of purchase.
    >>>>on that weird screw, do you think its there to direct noise from the chassis closer to the shielding?.......again my new buster 2x10 doesnt have the screw?? ,,..........

8. Thinking about it more, that screw may be there to help reduce chassis vibration. I would imagine that the 1x15 combo would be more prone to vibration that the 2x10 combo, and using the screw to keep tension between the amp chassis and cabinet may help to prevent amplifier parts from vibrating to death.

Just an idea I had. One of the guys at Mesa could probably give a better explanation. I was troubled by that screw when I got mine. I wondered why it was sticking so far out of the amp chassis. I just left mie in. Couldn't hurt...

9. from mesa.......it tensions the bottom half of chassis to top half of cabinet....

10. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I wasn't home....
    I could not find any use for it, but I realized that it will definately be an obstacle when changing my tubes......SKIN DONATION......But what Mesa said must be right.......

11. just got mine back out of the trash

12. So I was right? Chalk one up for creative thinking...