Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chromatic Fantasy Help.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tschomotsche, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tschomotsche

Tschomotsche

Feb 13, 2005
    palo alto
    Hi. This is my first post, but I've been playing for about two years now. I just started learning "Chromatic Fantasy" by Jaco. I can play the first part but I can't do the thing where he goes up the strings super fast. Is there a certain technique to do this or does it just take practice?

Please help, thank you.

2. Many parts of that work are played like arpeggiated chords. So those figures that go 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 upwards (and later downwards as 1-3-2 1-3-2 ...) you fret as a chord and then play the notes individually. I use my thumb to pluck the lower string and then my index and middle fingers for the other notes. Additionally, that "1" note is to be held longer and on top of the 2 and 3 notes. That occurs in many of the parts of that work.

How are you learning it? From a transcription? I recommend checking out the original score for that work to gain more insight about how it should be played. The "Essential Jaco Pastorius" book doesn't really notate it correctly when compared to the original.

- Dave

3. Tschomotsche

Tschomotsche

Feb 13, 2005
    palo alto
    Oooooooooooooh okay. Thank you very much.
    I'm learning it from the essential Jaco book, but I'll check out the original score.