Chromatic scale, how is it?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Suckbird, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    For example if i would like to use a chromatic scale over a G chord whould it be like this:

or every tone on the neck, if so there cant be any key of a chromatic scale?

Also, i have seen classical music where they use weird tone(doesn't fit any scale i know) but it sounds good, is this from the chromatic scale?

If not, what kind of scales gives that classical sound?
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That fingering is not the chromatic scale, you're missing the B and the E. The chromatic scale simply contains (all) 12 notes.
  3. (Chromatic starting with high G)

(Chromatic startomg with low G)

Major scales sound brighter and happier
    Minor scales sound darker and sadder
  4. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    here's a simpler way

perfectly chromatic ;)
  5. Hmm.... When I play that on my fretless I get more than twelve notes. :meh:

You're right Suckbird, there's no chromatic key. Classical composers don't use any particular scales to get the sound they do. It sounds classical because it's constructed according to the rules of harmony, and because they compose in a classical style. Often a classical composer uses non-scale tones. That's common in most genres, and not really a defining feature.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Strict Serialism - as developed by Arnold Schonberg and taken up by the Viennese school in the early 20th C - did use all 12 notes of a chromatic scale as a "12-tone row".

The music was then contructed only using this row and inversions, "transformations" etc, of it.

It was first used in his 2nd string quartet to give a sense of other-worldiness - then in works like "Pierrot Lunaire" etc. etc.

Berg's violin concerto also uses this method.

Well - you'd have to say what exactly it was you were listening to !!??

"Classical!" is a very vague tem that covers many centuries of music and literally thousands of composers with their own styles ...:meh:

Give an example of what you've heard and it should be possible to say whether it's tonal = key centres ; or atonal, using tone rows, serialism etc.
  7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Strictly it covers about 70 years. Berg and Schoenberg were not classical composers.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you want to be pedantic...:meh:

But most people and Music shops/Marketing/charts etc . - consider "Classical" to be anything from Bach (b. 1685) to the 3 Tenors!! And given what the original poster (who I was addressing directly) has already said - I don't think he knows the distinction between Baroque, Classical, Romantic etc ;)
  9. Bruce Lindfield

For the pedants :
    The Oxford Dictionary of Music, has several definitions of "Classical Music".
    In this particular context, I was using #4 , I quote :

"Classical Music" is used as a generic term meaning the opposite of light or popular music. Music generaly regarded as having permanent rather than ephemeral value.

...rather than a more precise definition of : post-Baroque and Pre -Romantic!! :spit:
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

Yeah, I know.
  11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    ...athough it's a valid point.

Nobody here (I hope) would argue for lumping Tom Araya and Paul Chambers together as Light/Popular bassists.