Chromatic Tuner Recommendations? Boss TU-2?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rodoherty1, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

To my shame and disgrace, I do not own a tuner. I recently tried a mate's Boss TU-2 and it was excellent. It had no problems with my low-B and the layout was clear and easy-to-use on stage ... but it is a little pricey for a tuner ... €127.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a good, sturdy tuner? If I get a resounding thumbs-up for the Boss TU-2, I'll shell out for one but I'd appreciate other recommendations.

2. I'd recommend the TU-2 for the reasons you mention, plus it makes for a convenient mute switch. However, if you're looking for something less expensive, try the Intelli MetroTuner. I purchased mine for US$32.00. In addition to being a good tuner, it is also the best inexpensive metronome that I've found. Not that I've tried a great number of the inexpensive units, but the Intelli is the best of what I've tried. Still, the TU-2 is what I use on a regular basis.
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Boss TU-2. I like it. Others like it. In the cover band that I used to play in, there where three of these in the practice space. Various states of beat up. Three people had three different distortion pedals, all had the same tuner.

I also have the new Korg Korg DT-10 digital pedal tuner. It looks way better than the TU-2 next to my Erine Ball volume pedal and my Bass-Drive distortion pedal because they are all silver and black. But it takes a little more to tune with the Korg. I lightly keep plucking the B string with my finger, not a pick and not a fingernail, pluck pluck pluck. It seems that when the vibrations die down, the tuner has trouble getting a signal, or when it is picked harshly, the initial strength of the signal is hard for the tuner to get a reading. I just keep lightly plucking quarter notes, and the tuner seems to be able to get the signal. I put up with this because I like the looks. The Korg does the job, but the Boss gets me the note quicker and easier.

4. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Another vote for the TU-2.
  5. How can I argue with any of that .. ??
    Thanks for the recommendations ...

6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the boss also powers other pedals
  7. The TU-2 is the Cat's Pajamas, the bees' knees, the mutts' nuts...

Get it, you won't regret it.
  8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the Sabine NEX5000 tuner. It works nice. If you use a power supply connector other than Sabine's connector, you'll have to get a 2.1mm adapter since the DC input is a tad skinnier than the standard 2.5mm connectors.
    I got the Sabine because it was cheap on Ebay, otherwise I would've gone with the Boss just because my guitarist has one and it'd be nice to have an all Boss pedalboard(I've got an EQ and chorus on board).
  11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I like my Intellitouch tuner. It is a little thing that you clamp onto the end of the headstock and it reads the actual vibrations in the wood of the neck. It works great on my bass, mandolin, or 12-string. I like it a lot.
  12. Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    I use my ear its more accurate I just take a G from the guitar e string or 2 octaves below middle C on a keyboard and do the rest with the string harmonics Please dont jump on me I Tune instruments for a living been doin it for 30 years and often freak out sales staff by picking up a bass of the shelf with loose strings and pulling it into tune with no reference note and when they run out with a Tuner they freak out when its on the button and say "How you do that"
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    While I agree heartily with Tez about your ear being the best tuner, and make it a point to spend a great deal of time teaching how to do it well to beginning students (possibly an inordinate amount of time! :hyper: ), I have to point out that this appears to be a thread about stage tuners. If you're onstage and tuning in a noisy enviroment between songs, your ear does you no good. In those situations, the best thing I've found is indeed the Boss TU-2.

So, another TU-2 vote! ;)
  14. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use a Boss TU-2 and love it!

The only issue I have is that it is near impossible to read during a bright outdoor gig. Any recommendations for a decent tuner that can be read in the sun?

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    As far as pedal/floor tuners go the TU-2 is the best I've ever come across. I, however use a rackmount Korg DTR-1. I can tune from the other side of the room.
  16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1 for TU2. What everyone else said about it.