Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chrome jazz pickup cover install question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    im wanting to install a chrome jazz pickup cover (or bell cover) on my sadowsky ultra jazz bass and i was wondering if anyone knows the measurment of where i should drill the holes. i just need from the side of the pickup to the hole. thanx mark

2. You NEVER drill holes before you have the piece in hand. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. :D

When you DO have the piece in hand, You use it to mark the holes in the right place and then drill them. That way you are absolutely sure the holes fit the cover. There can be slight differences in any aftermarket part and drilling before you know what the spacing actually is practically assures you of getting a misfitting part.

3. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hey Hambone (or anyone for that matter)! :)

I have a MM 5string chrome cover on order for my MIM Deluxe V and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for drilling through the pickguard to avoid any chips or anything.

Thanks!
    JB

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If your pickguard is plasitc, you should have no worries. I've ne'er chipped a guard by drilling.

5. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks!

Well, I have a tort pickguard on there, so I imagine it's plastic. :eyebrow:

I know there are others, but I can't think of what else it could be.

Thanks again!
    JB

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just drill slowly.

7. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Great!

Thanks again,
    JB

8. If I'm drilling through the pickguard or anyplace where there's a finish, I put a small piece of masking tape over the spot where the hole is going to be. I've never had any problems.

9. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Sorry, but I just did a search and found out I had another reply. Thanks very much for the tip! I'm going to follow suit as well with the tape. That's a great idea. Also serves as a spot to mark the holes as you hold the cover in place.

I did have another question. I hope someone knows the answer.

My cover should be coming in any day and it was ordered directly from Fender. Will it come with screws? If not, what is the proper size screws I need to use? Pickguard screws or something?

Thanks,
    JB

10. Mine came from Fender with no screws. I used pickguard screws and it hasn't fallen off yet! :D

11. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Great! Exactly what I needed to know. I've also heard of folks using doublesided tape to hold it (not sure if permanate or not) so I may do that as I get adjusted to it and decide exactly where to put it.

Thanks very much!
    JB

12. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Well, I got my cover and installed.

Albit, I have 3 sets of holes because I couldn't firmly decide where I wanted the cover. I thought I had it figured out the first time, (used tape to hold it while I played) but the more I played with it in that position, I found that the tail end of my thumb would hit the cover and I couldn't play like that.

So I tried another set of holes closer to the bridge and then I noticed when I was done, I hadn't centered the cover from left to right. arrgh!!!!

Moved it a little and a little more square to the pickup and it's good now. I wound up with it a ways towards the bridge just so my thumb can slap and clear the cover.

It looks very nice! It makes the body look a little stubby, because of it being closer to the bridge than normal, but that's ok. I thought the MIM deluxe bodies were just a hair smaller than their American counterparts. :confused: Not sure, but I like it.

Can truly say it is my bass and it's unique. That chrome against the tort pg and the candy-apple body is very striking.

Just wondering, should I do anything with the extra holes in the body/pg? The cover completely covers them.

Thanks for the help and answers!

JB

13. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    JazzBassvb: I have been following this thread while delaying the installation of my Jazz bass bridge cover. I was afraid of problems of exactly the sort that you have experienced! Perhaps I will try the two-sided tape approach initially; at least until I decide if I like the cover being in place.

Regarding the extra holes - I used wood filler to plug a very small mistake (oops, OH NO!) I made when drilling into the electronics cavity for a star grounding point.

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I got one of those for my '77 Jazz which I got second hand with the holes in but no cover. It didn't quite fit, but I was able to squeeze the cover a bit to make up for the differences. If you can drill the holes exactly for the cover, you can get a much better fit.

15. just a small tip...

if you want to attach temporarily with tape, use servo tape. it's used for taping servos (surprise!) and other electronics into radio control cars. holds securely, but can be fairly easily taken off plastics without leaving residue...

available at most good hobby shops that sell real radio control cars...