1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chrome Lights Are Awesome! Changed my Playing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwoundround, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    I have been in the dark for many years I forgot how good some brightness can sound. I have been playing dead labella deep talkin flats for so long, but I was never really happy with my tone. But I liked how the strings felt and loved the thump and low end in the mix, but by itself I was not happy.

I put on some Chrome lights and wow! All of sudden I am getting such better tones on my Precision going through my Markbass Jeff Berlin signature amp. With the labellas all I got was dead and deader tones and it affected my playing. The chromes feel and sound great and since I play mostly with a pick I can palm mute and roll the tone back and I pretty much can get close to the labella tone, but not the other way around. I could not stop playing today with the new chromes, I feel like my groove is so much better, and my pleasure from playing is so much better. I have to slap a little bit in the band I am in and the chromes slap so much better than the labellas. I used to have a hofner with flats and it had the greatest warmest tone but the bass felt too fragile for me. The new chromes can match and exceed the tone the hofner had and that is amazing.
    The light chromes do not feel tense like the medium gauge chromes, they feel very comfortable. So I am getting very comfortable feel with a great tone.

I honestly feel like I finally found my sound, precision with chromes and pick going through Mark bass amp. I love it and feel psyched up and excited in a huge way.

I guess the main point I am making is what a lot of already know. Different strings can make huge impact on the tone and the comfort of playing. I encourage everyone to keep exploring until they feel the way I do now finally about their tone and comfort.

Thanks.

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Congrats on finding your perfect match!
    Im a fellow pick player but just cant deal with light strings, i wish i could.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    +1. Agree 100%.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Flatwoundround, I've been saying this very thing over and over here only to have folks start doggin' on Chromes! For me, the superlight set is even better but I'm going for near-roundwound levels of brightness.

In a mix, Chromes Rule!!

5. I too, have the MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo amp. It's a great amp but I find it crazy powerful with respect to bass and a little shy of providing enough treble. That's why I play with the chromes, because I feel it balances out with the sound of the amp. A great marriage.

6. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Thanks everybody. I am still in bass heaven today.

7. BlueMINI

BlueMINI

Sep 10, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    When you say "lights," are you talking 45-100?

I had a set of those in my hands yesterday, but passed as I didn't want to explain to my wife why I spent $36 on a set of strings (we've had a lot of unexpected expenses lately) :)

I have been eyeing those & Fender flats...

comatosedragon likes this.
  8. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014

Yes, the lights are 45-100. I tried the medium gauge 50-105 and loved the tone but the feel was a little too much tension and the thickness of the strings not quite right for me. The lights are definitely lower tension but honestly I cannot hear any noticeable difference in loss of thickness. The lights are just right for me. I never felt this way before with any bass setup with respect to tone and comfort. I understand about lots of unexpected expenses.

If anybody here wants a free set of medium chromes I would be more than happy to mail them to you. They are only a few days old.

BlueMINI likes this.
  9. I'm not a Chromes basher as such but based on my personal experience, I would take the Fender 9050L over the Chromes Lights any day.

I've always hated the traditional 45-65-80-100 set for their uneven feel with a very tight D with a loose E. The 9050L with the 60D seems to be much better-balanced. The only thing that would make what's already good even better is a 105E. The rumor has it Fender might be bringing back the 9050CL set (Custom Light, 45-60-80-105) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, you can get a set of Fender 9050 for $22-24.

BlueMINI likes this.
  10. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I'd be very interested in those medium Chromes!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  11. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Okay, you got it. I am in the Chicagoland area so just email me your address. I also have an old set of worn in medium gauge Labella flats if anybody wants those too.

Why am I doing this? Because this forum has been so helpful to me and I want to give back. Bass Players truly are the coolest folks.

12. Coke Kane

Coke Kane Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    La Puente, CA
    Shortly, the Chromes will sound like the Labella. So, you might not really be in love with the Chromes, but in love with the sound of a fresh new set of strings period. If so, this would be an expensive eye-opener.

13. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    I considered that possibility. But i think the chromes even when broken in will not be as dark as the Labellas. If that did happen though I would probably take a look at Ernie Ball Flats as I heard they are even brighter than Chromes. Or I might look into some bright flats from GHS but that might be too extreme. Years ago I did have some chromes that were sort of broken and they were not nearly as dark as the Labella deep talking. But you are right they will not be this bright in a month or so but I hope to retain most by boosting the highs.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just did the same thing. 2 weeks ago. I got a couple of sets for one of my fretted P basses. Liked them so much I got a set for my fretless P,a Fender Jazz,and a couple of backup sets. Much nicer than the Rotosounds I was using.

15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Chromes take a really long time to die (3 or 4 months of regular playing in my experience) and even their "dead" tone is significantly brighter than a lot of new flatwounds.

That being said, I've had good results using a combination of BassBrites and FastFret to bring them back to life and keep them there. I'll also boil them before a recording session.

I'm also curious about the Elixir coating they recently released. I'l be buying some that next time I buy strings to see if that keeps them alive any longer.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don't hear the Chromes so much being what I think of as "brighter" as I do them being "clearer." To me, their fundamental has a cleaner more defined quality rather than that much additional highs or top. They also have a longer sustain than the usual flat sets we keep on our basses - usually for years on end. So I think they're clearer and more sustainy (is that a word?) than a traditional flat. Maybe calling them transitional flats would be a better description? Either way, on the right bass, and with the right player, they're a marriage made in heaven. I've got one PBass I absolutely love them on.

Clutchcargo and Pantone 333 like this.
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The issues OP describes are exactly what turned people toward Rotosound when they first got out 50 years ago.
    Isn't it time to get a good set of rounds ?

18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    The only Flats Ive ever tried, never had to try another...CHROMES..:thumbsup:

19. The same happened to me - I used half/rounds on my Precision for years - but they seemed to dissapoint the last couple years. I bought a MP used Jaguar and it had chrome flats on it - I changed my Precision over the chromes in about 2 weeks. I love them - and they always sound fresh.