1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"chrome" paint job?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ngnt, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    Has anyone done this and had it come out looking almost mirrored? I've seen some that look like they have an uneven surface underneath the paint job, almost like someone started trying to sand down a golf ball, but all over the bass. I'm very interested in doing a 'mirror' finish jazz bass but a lot of the pictures I have seen of people doing this do not look smooth, and if it doesn't come out looking like a mirror it isn't worth it to me.

Any advice? Or anyone who is interested in doing this for me?

2. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    Have you considered covering it in chrome MonoKote?

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York

4. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    I hadn't, but it thats an idea. In all honesty I'm pretty clumsy with my hands when it comes to details. I know I could arrange the monokote so the seam would be on the back, but I really don't want to have a seam at all. Being unfamiliar with monokote I'm not sure if I could hide the seam. But thanks for the idea for sure!

5. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    Curbowkid, that is exactly what I am looking for except the blue tint seems so cheesy to me! And there is no way I would even ask Warwick how much they would do it for. I guess I'm trying to go for the look of the Alumisonic J Special, but not Aluminum... though they do sound amazing!

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    They have it in plain chrome too I just couldn't find it. I'm not sure the proccess they use though sorry I couldn't be of more help

7. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    No worries. Any input of any kind from anyone is much appreciated.

8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York

Here's another that's more like aluminum

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The Robert Trujillo bass in the link above is actually bronzed. But here you can see the different chrome finishes. We use a mix of 5 components in 2 spray guns to achieve this finish.

Chrome:
    [​IMG]

Black Chrome:
    [​IMG]

Feel free to use these for reference in your search, if this is indeed what you are after. Thanks!

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

11. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    The Warwick chrome finish is absolutely gorgeous and that is exactly what I am after. The RIM Custom is what I DON'T want. Not to take away from the bass, it is an excellent looking bass but the finish looks textured, not smooth.

12. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    Damn you Warwick and making the exact finish I want on a bass that I don't!! :bawl:

13. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    If you're painting the bass yourself, you need to wetsand that thing until your fingers fall off. It's not as difficult as it is time consuming. Testors makes various metal spray paints that you can polish to a mirror finish.

http://www.testors.com/category/145623/Metalizer_Enamel_Paint

You can find them at most model shops. It's kinda pricey though, about 7 or 8 bucks for a small can (that was 10 years ago, so I imagine it jumped a bit)

14. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Honestly? I don't think you stand a chance.

It is the most difficult finish to get right. The surface preparation has to be absolutely flawless before going near any kind of 'chrome' paint or coating. Then, buffing that finish out to the mirror finish that seems to be your minimally acceptable standard is the sort of skill that takes a lot of practise. If you say you're clumsy with your hands, that's not a good starting point for the skill levels you require to produce a flawless mirror finish.

Could someone else do it? There may possibly be people on TB who have the skills but it is going to be time consuming and exacting work that is going to cost plenty...I'm sure those Warwick finishes don't come cheap, and on a 'one-off' project without the economies of factory scale it's going to be even pricier.

All that trouble and cost to get a flawless finish that will get covered in fingerprints every time you touch it?

Good luck anyway

15. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    I would absolutely pay for someone else to do it. I was really hoping for suggestions of places that have done it successfully or people who have. My bad guys for not making that clearer, oops.

16. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    and the satisfaction of being one of the only a**holes dumb enough to have a mirror finish bass way out weighs the frustration of polishing the bass every time I play it. And I guess its also somewhat of an 'investment.' Or at least I'll tell myself that. Half of being a memorable band is what you look like. I would remember a mirrored bass!

17. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

May 21, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    Sims customs in the UK does it. Ive seen some pictures of some nice finishes and some that that came up a bit wavy and not 100% reflective.