Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chrome Pickup cover problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by needmoney, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Okay, so I just installed a sharp lookin chrome pickup cover on my J Bass. But I've encountered one slight problem, when I roll up the neck pickup, it starts buzzing only when I touch the chrome pickup cover, until I come in contact with the strings. I recently shielded my bass (ala Lyle Caldwell) so my bass is quiet apart from this. What could be causing this?

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    ground the cover :p

3. Well I thought it was contacting shielding but maybe not. I'll recheck it.

4. Okay turns out I did need to ground it, so I did, no more buzz. Problem now is whenever I take my hands off any metal part the bridge pickup buzzes when its rolled up. Neck pickup is dead quiet even when I'm not contacting any metal parts, and it's grounded at the same point as the bridge pickup (ground lug).

I better point out that when the chrome pickup cover wasn't grounded the bridge pickup was dead quiet without touching any metal part. What do I need to do to get them both quiet with the pickup cover?

5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    ground em seperately. i dont know why this hum is occuring but if you ground them seperately it should be fine.

6. Hmmm I don't think I need to ground them seperately if they were working fine before without the pickup cover. I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere else.

7. If you're doing a proper star ground...the following should be happening....

bridge pickup cover...separate ground to star point
    neck pickup cover...separate ground to star point
    bridge...separate ground to star point
    shielding...separate ground to star point
    each pot...separate ground to star point
    jack...separate ground to star point

that oughtta cover it...you get the idea...

8. So you're saying everything should contact the same point? Well it does. And after reassessing the problem this morning, it doesn't seem to be there :eyebrow: Everything's quiet so I aint touchin a thing.

9. well if it WAS there and it went away...chances are it will come back at some point...at that time, you can improve the contact point between your pickup cases and ground...

another thing that will help is tounplug that neon Budweiser sign that you have sitting on top of your amp :D