Chrome pup covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shannon, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    This is likely a silly question, but I had to ask.

First off, to clarify, this question isn't about the large metal strip type pickup cover that goes over the strings, but rather about alternatives to the plastic covering on the p-bass pup itself. The mods will be to a Squier VM Jaguar Special, so the metal strip won't fit.

My ideas are to see if there's a large enough solid chrome (no holes) humbucker pup cover that will fit over the p-bass pup, with or without its existing plastic cover. Alternatively, I may buy a set of black plastic covers and spray 'em with chrome paint. Plan B is a lot cheaper, though I don't know how it'll hold up.

The Bridge pup should be covered well enough with a j-bass bridge cover, so I am not worried about changing it.

I know this can't be an original idea, so I was wondering if anyone out there in TB land had done this thing. Opinions? Comments?

2. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Watching this out of curiosity. I'd kinda like to get a gold cover like you're looking for.

Shannon likes this.
  3. You are better off chroming plastic covers than trying to find metal ones. Firstly, you would have a hell of a time finding metal covers, and secondly, they alter the flow of eddy currents in the coils, changing the tone.