Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chrome-steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Aaron J, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey all...I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Pirastro Chrome-steels. I did a search and really did not turn up anything. A friend of mine put them on his bass, and they sounded great. The strings felt like they had fairly low tension, but it might be hard for me to tell because his string length is a lot shorter than mine. I did not care for the E string though, it did not speak with as much authority as the other strings did. The strings seemed to have a good growl on top, while still retaining a nice bottom. These strings were only less than a week old, though. How hard and quick do these strings die. I did not get a chance to put a bow to them, but I can imagine they are pretty scratchy this new. Let me know what you guys think.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I have just about the opposite opinion. There are plain wire core - not braided as in spiro or flexo - and therefore have high tension. They bow easily. They may work on low action setups.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Salut Olivier.
    I think he's speaking of the FlatChromesteels (new ones).
    Aaron: what is the silk color at the tailpiece?
    White with a ruby spiral? These are FlatChromesteels
    White with a purple spiral? These are Original FlatChromsteels
    Solid green? These are the solid core string Olivier thinks of (Chromcor)

If you have the first type, they are FlatChromesteels, which is considered a hybrid string: good at pizz and arco.
    They use a stranded steel (so-called steel rope-core) core, and lasts for years.
    It's true the E string is not very well matched with the others.
    You could use a Pirastro Jazzer for the E, for instance.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Oui François, tu as raison.

5. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry I wasn't a little more specific. They are the FlatChromesteels with the Ruby and White silk. Francois, do you have much experience with these strings. I am not too worried about finding a good E string...I love how a Spiro E sounds on my bass. I am currently using Corelli 370TX (Spiro E), and I like how they bow and more or less how they feel, I just think I want a little more clarity on top. The Corellis seemed to darken quicker than I expected (although I would NOT call them a dark string by any means). Do the FlatChromesteels maintain their brightness fairly well? How well do they project? What is the closest string you could compare it to? Thanks again.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yes and no.
    Take into account that I play exclusively on EUBs since about nine years now, and the previous acoustics I had before were all plywoods.
    I've used the FlatChromesteel on my (now sold) old Ampeg Baby Bass.
    That instrument was dark sounding so the clear sound of the FlatChromesteel helped.
    I still have a set, and tried them of my (now sold) BugBass EUB and Carruthers EUB, but I like a warm, dark tone so I didn't like them.
    Comparing strings on different instruments is quite a guess, and brightness decaying even more, so I won't comment on that. There's no rule. Depends on too many factors.
    The most similar string I tried is the Super-Sensitive Pinnacle.

HTH!

7. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I have been using a mixed set of G and D FlatChromesteel with A and E Jazzer for 6 or 7 months now. I have been very happy with this combination and I find the balance between the strings to be very good. I was worried that the FlatChromesteels would start sounding "dead" before the Jazzers, but so far the brightness and sustain has mellowed on both kinds at about the same rate, so they have stayed well matched. They still have a strong, bright tone at this point. The FlatChromesteels also bow very nicely, at least compared to Jazzers or Spirocores (to my ears and on my bass that is, of course).
    Hope this helps.

Michael

8. Aaron -- I've been using Flat Chromesteels for about ten months now -- except that soon after installing them I put on a Spiro E string, for the same reasons you mentioned. The Spiro E is a bit better than the Flat chromesteel E. Not a whole lot better (at least on my bass), but a little better.

The Flat Chromesteels have been a good hybrid string for me, as I play about half and half, arco and pizz. They are more bowable than the few other strings I've tried. Still some scratchiness, especially when I'm bowing fast, but the scratchiness may be more due to my inexperience than to the strings. When my teacher plays my bass, the strings don't sound scratchy at all.

They have lasted well, and the initial brightness has subsided a bit, which I like just fine. When new, they were a bit too bright for me, because my bass has a bright sound anyway. I wouldn't call the sound dark by any means, but it's just a little less intensely bright. A good sound on my bass, to my ear. So far the strings don't show any sign of giving out or losing their resonance. Hope this helps.