Chromecore Steel vs. Obligato

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Comrade Lewis, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    I was wondering what you guy's opinion is with Chromecore steel vs. obligato's. Right now i have some obligato's on my bass and they really sound great, i play orchestra and solo music manly, but i do need a good loud sound for when i do play jazz. If not these strings what strings can you reccomend for me (preferrably under $160)?
  2. Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    My German bass works well with Ob G and D, but needed Spirocore Weich A and E to get it done. The Ob A and E had too much roll when starting an arco note, and wouldn't speak quickly. The Spirocore Weichs are a little less bright than regular Spirocores, but both are very unforgiving of faulty bow technique. Your results may vary. Good luck.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Chromecor are solid steel core: very stiff and thumpy pizzwise, arco is nicer. That's the stiffer strings I ever had on my bass, they stayed less than one day. :rollno:

Six month ago I was having the same dilema: Oblis have a sweet arco tone, nice fundamental etc, but tend to lack the required punch for pizz/jazz. I was offered to try Pirastro Jazzers. They are much louder and brighter and do a better job than Oblis re pizz. I found they have a better dynamic range for arco (I am currently working on Eccles sonata). I like them, they are worth trying. Note that it took them about a month to settle down before open string arco becomes manageable.

Other possiblilities IMO: Spiro orch or Superflex.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Are you talking of Pirastro FlatChromesteels or Chromcors?
    Olivier described the Chromcors right.
    FlatChromesteels are available in Original or regular ones.
    The Originals are orchestral strings, with the E & A quite thick and dark sounding, and the D & G thinner and brighter. (mostly the G, as the D is not bright per se)
    The regular FlatChromesteels are thinner strings, with a clear tone, and designed as a hybrid string; for both pizz and arco work.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As mentioned, Chromecor is an all-steel string.

My teacher uses them.

From what I gather, they are very-well suited for the symphony because they allow you to generate a huge amount of string energy. On big, old and open orch. basses, if you have the hands to handle them, they sound amazing.

I would think the bass would need to resonate well under high tension and have a fairly strong fundamental to work well with them.
  6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Although the strings are stiff due to the solid-core, I'm not sure they are high tension. They feel high tension, but the strings may be loaded at normal tension.
    Solid steel is less elastic than steel rope-core.
  7. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    sorry, i was talking about pirastro flatchrome steels, i got the names mixed up, my bad
  8. Comrade -- I've been using the Flat Chromesteels for a little over a year now, and I think they are a good hybrid string. Strong, clear arco sound, and good strong pizz as well with long sustain (except for the E string- I replaced it with a Spirocore Medium E, because the Flat Chromesteel E was too vague). I haven't tried Obligatos yet so I can't compare the two. The Flat Chromesteels are the best string I've tried yet, for both types of playing. They are head and shoulders above the Helicore Orchestras that I had before.