Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chromes destroyed my fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I was trying out basses the other week at the local music store and one bass had flatwounds on, which was D'addario chromes. After been playing for 15-20minutes on the bass i looked at my right hand and i got this big hole in my middle finger, "luckily" i was sick i and choosed not to play bass again until i was ok again, after some days the fingers started to heal. Now i dislike D'addario bass strings more. The sound was really cool, i like the flatwound sound but please don't tell me all flatwounds are like those strings?

2. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    I've never had a problem like that with Chromes. I find them very smooth and easy on my fingers

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep, me, too. I put a set of Chromes on my new CS PBass last night, and played for about 4 hours. No holes torn through my fingers to speak of....

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    So you say there shouldn't be any problem with other brand flats?

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Shouldn't be a problem with any brand of flats, including Chromes. Maybe you liked the tone so much you just started digging in harder than usual? Just a guess

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Technique might need a tweak for flats. You do have to get on them a little more to get a good sound, or a sound you might be familiar with. I use these on my fretless' and no problems, just a tweek on style.

7. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've always found that my fingers hurt more with flats (regardless of brand)than with rounds. Which, I admit, seems REALLY weird. :eyebrow:

My fingertips tend to get "hot" playing flats--like from excessive friction. I know that I tend to push harder on flats with both hands, and I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

I recently changed to a lighter gauge of Chromes and they seem much easier on my fingers than the next gauge up. (was playing 50-105, now 45-100).

Changing my technique has helped as well--I'm getting more of the "meat" of my fingers on the string rather than playing closer to the very tips.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm giving the chromes a second chance, maybe it's just my technique. So maybe a lighter gauge and some adjustment to my technique would do it? Can't wait to try them out again tomorrow.

9. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    They do sound good, eh? :).

One other thing--I found the problem to be worse when practicing at very low volume. Flats don't ring as well as rounds, and at low volume I found myself digging in way harder to get the tone out.

Good luck!

10. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    When i first put flats on my fretless, i went crazy. The string was floppy and wobbly and i seriously couldnt make a decent sounding note. Only advice is: LOOSEN UP. Make sure your left hand isnt tense and relllaxxx and soften your style to suit your strings. You know what they say:
    once you go flat, you NEVER go back.

11. D'AddarioPD

D'AddarioPD

Jan 31, 2005
    The chrome bass strings should not be any harder on your fingers then other bass strings. In fact they are a little easier. A couple of reasons for what happened may be that the strings were of a higher gauge then you are used to or the bass may have had higher string action then you are used to.

Chromes also percieve to have lower output the round wounds because tonally they are darker. You may have been "digging in" in order to get the same percieved volume you are used to with round wound strings.

12. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your posts guys, i really appreciate it! :)

Anyway, i tried out the flats again today and i tried to find some new technique and it worked, i loosened up and it worked wonderful but the outer layer of skin was hurt. I love the sound of them but i maybe should try another brand. I also remembered that a friend of mine had a set of Fender 9050's(?) flats on his MIA Fender fretless jazz for some time and they sounded a little brighter then the chromes but the feel of playing them was just wonderful! When i think of it i maybe should go with a set of 9050's?

13. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I tried flats out and loved them. Hence my other thread about black diamond flats. However I did notice my fingers were hurting after awhile too. But I know why. My fingers were sweaty at the time and were sticking slightly to the smooth surface of the strings. A little moisturizer lotion on my fingers did the trick. I will just need to clean the strings before and after I play on them.

14. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The flats that are known for chewing up your finger are those made of stainless steel (I think Fender 9050s are stainless steel). The flats that do not do this are those made of nickle. Also Thomastik Infelds don't chew up you fingers. I have flats on all my basses, but they are either TIs, nickle, or tapewound (like LaBella tapwound).

15. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I wonder what these Black Diamond strings are. I was hoping someone would have looked at my thread and answered. I've been tring ot find info. I wanted flatwounds, at $16 it's toucgh to beat. I hope they don;t disagree with my fingers.

16. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Play DB for a couple of weeks, then BG's so easy, even if you have barbed wire or steel cable strung up.

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I got together with some buddies and really started digging the vibe me and this drummer where finding. Next thing I know my middle finger right hand is a big blood blister.

I let it heal on it's own and put "Nu Skin" on it. It is made for blisters. It dries hard and provides some protection to the tender skin. You can also use super glue.

Dave

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nu Skin? Might hafta check that out - the tape on my pole for pole vault rips at my finger (mostly my middle one) and then when i try to play my bass after it hurts lik,e crazy...