1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chromes ECB81

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kukulkan61, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    WOW!!! I just strung my VM jaguar with these flat wounds,unbelievable tone ,I'm really diggin it,if anyone out there wants to know how these strings will perform I recommend them on any bass,so far I've strung my VM P bass and this Jag, next is my 61 P bass and my 95 Ibanez ATK 300. and by the way check out ebay their going for as little as 21.00 a set w/free shipping!!!:hyper::bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When I use flats, I use Chromes, too. My favorite flat.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    got these on my pbass, maybe 2-3weeks old (can't remember when i bought em hehe...). They are definitely great strings, but sometimes i just miss that roundwound edge. Very versatile strings FOR SURE though. Only complaint is that the g string can sound a little papery if that makes sense. On the previous sets i've tried (50-105, 40-95), the g string still sounded bright when the others died.

4. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    In my 35 + years of playing bass I always used rounds ,I'm liking these flats for my first experiance...I'm liking your avatar too JimmyM he's a badd Daddy O...

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks man...that's Devo James Brown.

:D

7. Love those Chromes. Also my favorite flat wound.

8. Man , I love these things.I had a stock set of ibanez rounds on an ibanez gsr200. Yeah , I know its supposedly a low end instrument and with the rounds , it sounded like one. Stuck a set of chromes on it and it absolutly came alive. I couldnt believe the improvement. (BTW I play through a peavey mark 6 xp and an ampeg 8 10) Next up was the P bass. Wow.... that classic tone... thunderous bottom end and no loss of anything on the top end. Then the kid tried both of them. Oh crap.... I created a monster. (Kid goes to art school and gets 3 hours of music a day.... plays bass.. stand up.. and tuba)Dad???? Will you get me a set of these for my 5 string? And so a set went on his ibanez with active pickups. It really pissed me off when that thing sounded better than my P bass. I'm kinda old school , so not a lot of popping or slapping for me , but the kid does all that stuff. I asked him if it was any different with the flats.. He said not moch and the flats are much easier on the right hand. So be it. I know there are a lot out there that like rounds better for the fancy stuff , but if the kid likes it , I'm ok with it too. At one point I was playing with three bands. Had 2 practices and a gig all in the same day and at the end of it all the fingers felt just fine. I know this would not have been the case with rounds.Also ,, some years ago I had a bass with fender flats on it. Heck , after 3 hours , I had to put bandaids on the right hand to keep playing.(one over the tip and one wrapped around on 3 fingers) Never had any problems with the chromes. Again , there is definatly a matter of personal preferance here but for my money the chromes are the only way to go.Had them on about a year now and still see no need to change them out. If you're doing hard rock , maybe the rounds are more to your style but if a big fat sound is your ticket , i highly reccomend a set of chromes. Rock on.

9. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Coo...:D

10. Chromes rock !

11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Chromes Rock. I had written them off on a prior attempt with a heavier gauge. The tension was just too much for me.

I am using 40-95 now and I love the sound, feel and playability. I have never like the sound of a G (on flats or rounds) before. (too trebley) Now, it's just right.

BTW. Ernie Balls are the exact same strings as Chromes IMHO.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've always thought that Ernie Ball Slinkies are the same strings as D'addario XL rounds, too.

13. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    But man! Don't you just gotta have those gold balls! :bag:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How do you know my balls aren't gold?

;)

15. jamersonburton