Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chromes on a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 3, 2004.

1. I have an American Jazz with a graphite neck. I am looking for a good flatwound sound - would chromes work for me or would the GHS Precision Flatwounds be better? What tension? I am using medium rounds right now.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    teechomatt,
    of the flats I've used on a jazz- Chromes, TIs, Roto 77's, GHS Precisions, and Fender 9050ML, I now prefer the Fenders. Choosing your favorite flatwound string is actually picking the best compromise of things you like about a stringset- smoothness, punch, clarity, depth, tension, definition, etc. Each set seems to have its own things it excels at, but it seems to me that none excel at everything. The Chromes have good mids IMO, with a smooth feel, and relatively high tension. I prefer the Fenders tho, they are pretty high tension (which I like), and they have a depth and punchy thump that sounds very even on my Jazz. They have enough clarity and enough low mid grunt that they set nicely in the mix and sound...well, like an old Fender should sound (again, IMO, YMMV).

3. Thank Ya! I had my eye on some Fender Flats, but I've heard so much about the others. Fenders it is - they're cheaper anyway!

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    just remember YMMV. That was just my opinion. You may hate 'em.

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    It depends on what you mean by "flatwound sound." In addition to brand, with the chromes you are bringing in the metal choice. Chromes have a pretty bright sound, but not as bright as stainless steel flats. If you are looking for more thud, go with nickel or even tapewound. The LaBella tapewounds are awesome in that regard, yet they have more clarity than some other tapewounds because underneath the tape is a roundwound string rather than a flatwoound string. I have chromes on my Jazz Deluxe and they work well with the active pickups. On my standard jazz I have the LaBella tapewounds.