1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes on a Precision 5 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 3, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, after all my ranting about P basses lately, I had to buy another one. This one is a really nice 2008 5 string burst tort.

Thanks tonedeaf!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/mia-fender-precision-v-standard-5-string-1015094/

I was thinking of slapping a set of Chromes on it. Who has tried these on a P5? Thoughts? Other suggestions? I prefer a low-mid tone and not so much dark. High tension is a must. (I play physically kind of hard.) How's the B string? Are mediums available and if so have you tried those?

So, Chromes? Not Chromes? Stick to my trusty D'Addario XL nickels?

Thank you for your thoughts.

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Anyone? Surely I can't be the first.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Try some Sadowsky Black Label flats.
    The tapered B string works much better.

I did not like the Chromes B

4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have Chromes on my Fender P5 and my Nordstrand vP5. It sounds and feels great. Plenty of brightness if you want it, nice and tight feeling, and a very good solid B string that blends well with the E. Do it.

By the way, for one band I tune down a whole step (A D G E F) and the Chromes even sound good at that tension.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool. Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for the tips guys.

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I like the Chromes B, but not with a P pickup. The BEA segment is too far north and lacks sufficient definition. If a P is used, then the B&E should be on one segment, the ADG on the other, and the positions flipped to get more definition on the B string. When this is done, the B has good round tone with definition, and isn't too flabby or dark sounding.

7. I use chromes on my P5, I like the B and E. I like them more than the standard Fender strings that were on it, which weren't bad.

8. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I'm running a squier standard precision 5 (that came with J p'ups, or the P that wasn't) with a single lawrance/wilde p46 with chromes. I like it.

9. I had Chromes on my '09 P5 for a couple years. Like Smeet said, plenty of high end, even for flats. I still found myself dialing down the tone knob. Good amount of old school thump for Motown stuff, and quite high tension. That bass was equally comfortable in a wide variety of styles... the contemporary church choir I used to play for, musical productions like Annie, Hair and Hairspray, my 11-piece funk cover band (Tower of Power, Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, etc)... Even an impromptu jam that turned out to be almost metal.

Great strings, but a little TOO high tension for my taste. Switched back to nickel rounds for a while, and now giving a set of GHS Precision Flats a try with the Pbass V. Slightly less tension than the Chromes and a little more presence in the highs mids/high frequencies.

5sg.